Original Tip Date: April 2005
Updated: November 2014
You'll love this tip contributed by Rudi Wells!To display attached references of a design file without having to open MicroStation, do this:Make a copy of your MicroStation desktop icon.Highlight the new icon, do a right click and select PropertiesIn the Target field, append -waref after the ustation.exeie: C:\Program Files\Bentley\Program\MicroStation\ustation.exe" -warefDrag and drop a file from Windows Explorer onto the new icon.Then press 1Press 3 to exit.Note, use the numbers above QWERTYUIOP on your keyboard, not those on the numberpad. Also, if you want .... you can copy the results to the system clipboard file by clicking on the little Bentley logo in the top left corner and selecting Edit > Select All and then press Enter.
This tip uses the -wa command line switch which specifies an MDL application to start when MicroStation is initialized. In this case, the MDL is ref which is delivered in the .../mdlsys/asneeded/ folder.
Update: Testing on MicroStation V8i SELECTseries 3 indicates that the numerical options have been removed, but listing references still works -- see this forum post for more information and details regarding this.
AskInga Tip #519
A few riders to this tip.
1. Only the current SHEET MODEL or DESIGN MODEL (whichever was current at time of SAVE SETTINGS) is reported, not the whole model against each SHEET and DESIGN MODEL
2. The current DESIGN that is being reported is NOT displayed. As a consequence, you will not know if the list is complete for the file.
3. NESTED REFERENCES are not displayed, only the first REFERENCE
4. If a file is open, you will receive a question "Do you want to open it in Read-Only mode?". The "Y" is not displayed so do not press "Enter" or you will miss the listing as you have "Pressed any key". Just press "Y".
5. Similarly, do not "multi-task" or a key press in another application will close the command line and you will miss the listing.
Hopefully, Bentley get around to fixing some of these old DOS era based routines and we can use them effectively again.
This will also work for DWG files - Tony DeRosa Bentley Plant