Changes to the Licensing Increment?

I am assisting another firm with their licensing setup. They are telling me that the licensing increment of 1 hour is being revised to 10 minutes.Can I get a definitive statement on this from Bentley.

Is the one hour increment still in effect or has the policy been changed?

TIA

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello Elisabeth,

it's been almost a week now. Any idea when we can expect this official announcement?
    This week? Next week? This month?

Thank you in advance.
  • There is now a such fact sheet to explain 10-minute intervals - www.bentley.com/.../9787.ashx
    Still the wording is too complicated and it lacks examples to understand if this works as expected.
  • I was contacted last week saying these policies have been in affect since April and this newsletter was sent out months ago??? I mentioned that i never received it, and this must be why. It was just officially sent out???
  • Wow, I just heard of the changes Bentley made. This is good news.

Many of us thought the pooled licenses under the select program would act as concurrent licenses. They were not. Now they almost are. Common sense can be used now to forecast the license usage :) The new "10 minute intervals" help a lot, and there's more behind it.

Before: The usage was binned into calender hours

A User on PC A opens a session 10:02 and ends 10:08

A User on PC B 10:18 - 10:42

A User on PC C 10:35 - 10:40

A User on PC D 10:52 - 11:10

Common sense would make you believe that the peak usage was 2 licenses: PC B and C between 10:35 -10:40 overlapped with usage. But Bentley counted different. 4 different PC's within the same calender hour "10:00 - 11:00" =4 license usages! This was really hard to explain to user groups.

From now on: The usage is now binned into 10 minute slices: Minute 1-10, 11-20, and so on. Only usages filling such a bin completley will start the count! What happens to the usage:

A User on PC A opens a session 10:02 and ends 10:08 - does not count, because less than 10 minutes use. no license usage.

A User on PC B 10:18 - 10:42 - counts as usage in slices 10:21-10:30, 10:31-10:40. the first 2 minutes are ignored

A User on PC C 10:35 - 10:40 - does not count, because less than 10 minutes.

A User on PC D 10:52 - 11:10 - counts as usage in slice 11:01-11:10. the other minutes are ignored

Result: one license used!!

More surprising: Changed after DanielB corrected another time:

PC E: Usage from 7:15 - 08:10 , fills 5 slices between 7:21-08:10

PC F: Usage from 7:22 - 7:39, fills no slice completely - no usage counted more than 10 minutes usage, will be counted in the 7:30 - 7:40 slice

Result: one license used!! Two licenses used

This is a dramatic change. Bravo! Even if users don't get the idea - what Bentley counts is less than common sense would tell. (note: AFAIK ELS subscription does not change the mechanism - usage blocks a license until midnight)

Bigean

Added after input Daniel B.:

PC E: Usage from 7:15 - 08:10 , fills 5 slices between 7:21-08:10

PC G: Usage from 7:22 - 7:41, fills 2 slices 7:31-7:40 and 7:41-7:50

2 licenses used

Still fair comparing it to "real concurrent count"

• That's not entirely accurate. Any usage at the beginning of the session that doesn't fill up its 10-minute window will indeed not count towards the peak usage. Counting will start with the first full bucket. However, any usage after that first full bucket will count towards the peak in each 10-minute window. In other words, we drop partially filled windows at the beginning of a session, but not at the end of the session.

Still, the number of resulting licenses counted in your examples seem to be correct. You're right in saying that it's a dramatic change and it is a tremendous benefit for Term License subscribers.