License Management Tool prior to version 9.2.0.25 for Microstation SS3

Hi,

Per https://communities.bentley.com/products/licensing/w/licensing__wiki/29816.term-licensing-and-application-usage-faqs , "Users with versions of products released prior to August 2015 (or using versions of the License Management Tool prior to version 9.2.0.25) will still have their usage calculated using the 10 minute policies but in some instances may not get the full advantage of the peak application usage calculations."  

There is no clarification of what this means.  What does that mean?

How do I upgrade Microstation v8i SS3 to use the License Management Tool version 9.2.025 or newer? 

Currently our office is not using the Mstn v10 (Connect) and desire not to switch to that right now.  Also, Mstn v8i SS4 has multiple bugs in it--destroying our plots.  We had to down grade back to SS3 for reliability.

I do have Mstn v10 (Connect) installed on one machine, and it brings up the License Management Tool version 10.x.x.x.  How do I either install a newer version for Mstn v8i SS3 or have SS3 use the version provided with Mstn version 10?

--Thanks,
--Robert

Parents
  • Products that include versions of the License Management Tool prior to 9.2.0.25 report a minimum duration of ten minutes because of the way they record usage. Consequently, they cannot take advantage of the new billing rule that dismisses any reported usage less than ten minutes. Other than this limitation, they can still benefit from the ten-minute usage interval for peak calculations, provided that they are reporting to Bentley's hosted SELECTserver (i.e. Bentley CONNECT SELECTservices).

I am unaware of any efforts by product teams to rebuild previously released versions of programs with the new License Management Tool because it requires coding changes within the programs themselves. Simply swapping out the License Management Tool libraries is not as trivial as it may seem. As such, the improved usage logging provides a compelling reason to upgrade when workflows permit.

• So for Q2, 10 minute buckets were already in effect, even for e.g. MicroStation SS3?
    The only difference between using SS3 and SS4 (with License Management Tool 9.2.0.32) would be that with SS3 every usage is counted as 10 minutes starting from actual start time, whereas with SS4 Usage only starts in the next 10 minute interval?

I got the impression that MicroStation SS3 still fell under the hourly bucketing scheme for Q2 (and following quarters), is this incorrect?
  • Unknown said:
    So for Q2, 10 minute buckets were already in effect, even for e.g. MicroStation SS3?
    The only difference between using SS3 and SS4 (with License Management Tool 9.2.0.32) would be that with SS3 every usage is counted as 10 minutes starting from actual start time, whereas with SS4 Usage only starts in the next 10 minute interval?

I got the impression that MicroStation SS3 still fell under the hourly bucketing scheme for Q2 (and following quarters), is this incorrect?

No, MicroStation SS3 can still benefit from the ten-minute bucketing scheme, especially for usage greater than ten minutes. Some examples may help highlight the differences in License Management Tool behaviors with versions prior to and following 9.2.0.25.

Example 1: Let us say that a user opens MicroStation SS3 and uses it from 11:02 - 11:07. Because this version of MicroStation uses a version of the License Management Tool prior to 9.2.0.25 which reports a minimum duration of ten minutes, it will record usage from 11:02 - 11:12. The usage is not dismissed since it is reported as at least ten minutes, but only the usage occurring from 11:10 - 11:12 is counted because of the start time round-up rule mentioned in my response to Robert. So it still realizes some benefit from the ten-minute bucketing scheme. For comparison purposes, MicroStation CONNECT edition, which no longer imposes a ten-minute minimum, would record the same usage from 11:02 - 11:07 which would then be dismissed since it is reported as a duration less than ten minutes.

Example 2: Let us say that a user opens either MicroStation SS3 or CONNECT edition and uses it from 10:57 - 11:22. Both will report 10:57 - 11:22, but only the usage from 11:00 - 11:22 will be counted because of the start time round-up rule mentioned earlier. Both realize the same benefits from the ten-minute bucketing scheme. While the older billable hour scheme would have counted usage in the 10:00 and 11:00 hours, the new ten-minute bucketing scheme counts usage in the 11:00 - 11:10, 11:10 - 11:20, and 11:20 - 11:30 intervals.

• Unknown said:
    So for Q2, 10 minute buckets were already in effect, even for e.g. MicroStation SS3?

No, MicroStation SS3 can still benefit from the ten-minute bucketing scheme, especially for usage greater than ten minutes. Some examples may help highlight the differences in License Management Tool behaviors with versions prior to and following 9.2.0.25.

Example 1: Let us say that a user opens MicroStation SS3 and uses it from 11:02 - 11:07. Because this version of MicroStation uses a version of the License Management Tool prior to 9.2.0.25 which reports a minimum duration of ten minutes, it will record usage from 11:02 - 11:12. The usage is not dismissed since it is reported as at least ten minutes, but only the usage occurring from 11:10 - 11:12 is counted because of the start time round-up rule mentioned in my response to Robert. So it still realizes some benefit from the ten-minute bucketing scheme. For comparison purposes, MicroStation CONNECT edition, which no longer imposes a ten-minute minimum, would record the same usage from 11:02 - 11:07 which would then be dismissed since it is reported as a duration less than ten minutes.

Example 2: Let us say that a user opens either MicroStation SS3 or CONNECT edition and uses it from 10:57 - 11:22. Both will report 10:57 - 11:22, but only the usage from 11:00 - 11:22 will be counted because of the start time round-up rule mentioned earlier. Both realize the same benefits from the ten-minute bucketing scheme. While the older billable hour scheme would have counted usage in the 10:00 and 11:00 hours, the new ten-minute bucketing scheme counts usage in the 11:00 - 11:10, 11:10 - 11:20, and 11:20 - 11:30 intervals.

Children