Activation of Bentley Map PowerView

Hi

We have huge problems with correct activation of Bentley Map PowerView. We have allready discussed it with some Bentley employees (SR 7000582866), but they could not find a solution and told us to post it here.

We have huge problems activating Bentley Map PowerView (newest version 08.11.09.763). The program is installed and we can activate the program in the license manager, so we can see the green check mark beside the program name.

The strange thing is, that we get an error after 13 minutes of use saying that the program is not activated. See the attached image.

We have now set up licens debug mode inside the License Manager. We tested it again and I got this error in the licdebug-file:

"Error:LicenseClient_MarkFeature2 - The UsageId is null".

We do not having any problems running both MicroStation, Bentley Map Standalone, PowerCivil for Denmark etc. on the same machine. Here we do not get any errors.

Maybe I should upload the complete debug-file?

Hope you can help.

Best regards

Rune H. Christensen

Parents
  • Your licdebug.log file has been examined. The error you mentioned refers to some feature tracking data recorded by the program, but it may not be responsible for the activation issues. Unfortunately, the log does not capture an activation attempt. Within the License Management Tool, please select Send Logs Now, and then submit the licdebug.log file again using out Secure File Upload page. Let us know when it is uploaded by responding to this forum post.

• Hi Jeremy
    Thank's for quick answer. I've just uploaded a new licdebug-log file where I have send logs. Hope that will be better than the first one.
    Regards Rune
  • The log file confirms that Bentley Map PowerView, Bentley Map, and MicroStation are all currently activated. Oddly enough, only MicroStation usage was transmitted when logs were manually sent, meaning no outstanding usage for Bentley Map PowerView is waiting to be sent. An Application Usage By Hour report confirms that only one-minute test usages generated by the Activate button in the License Management Tool have been transmitted from this machine. Bentley Map PowerView is not recognizing your license for some reason. As a troubleshooting measure, please perform the following steps to store your server name and site activation key to in the All Users profile:

1. Open the License Management Tool as an administrator.
    2. Select Options from the Tools menu.
    3. Click the Elevate to All Users button in the lower right corner.

Please confirm whether PowerView functions normally now.

Just to confirm, you sent the licdebug.log file located in the root of your user folder (i.e. %UserProfile%\licdebug.log), correct? This one includes more diagnostic information than the default one stored in your AppData folder (i.e. %LocalAppData%\Bentley\Licensing\licdebug.log).

Note: Post has been edited to provide some corrections

• I have elevated to all users the first time so that should be fine. I've just checked it.
    I've also send you the correct licdebug.log file the first time (from root of %UserProfile%). I do not have a licensing (or licdebug.log file) in the folders under AppData.

Hope we can do something else..

Best regards

Rune H. Christensen
  • I am unable to reproduce the activation timeouts or feature logging errors with Bentley Map PowerView V8i SS4 (08.11.09.763) in a Windows 10 test environment. I have examined all three logs you sent and see that no usage heartbeats are occurring, suggesting a possible installation issue. Please remove and reinstall PowerView as a troubleshooting measure. Then perform the following steps:

1. Open PowerView.
    2. Select License Management from the Utilities menu to open the License Management Tool.
    3. Keep the License Management Tool open, but switch back to PowerView and close it.
    4. Back in the License Management Tool, select View License Log from the Tools menu.
    5. Confirm whether any usage for product ID 1940 is listed. If present, verify that the time stamps correspond to the usage test you just performed. See the screenshot below for an example.

Please let us know what you find. Also, if running the product via an environment such as Citrix, try running the product directly to see if it logs usage using the steps above.

• Hi Jeremy

After several attemps I think I found the solution! :-D
    Thanks for your posts and help. Here is what I did:
    1. Uninstalled PowerView
    2. Deleted the folders with PowerView in: Program Files (x86), ProgramData and %AppData% (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bentley\MapPowerView etc.)
    3. Then I run a Ccleaner to remove all "crap" from the registry (I really thought that I have done this earlier, but I think this is doing the trick!)
    4. Rebooted the machine
    5. Reinstalled PowerView

After two attempts running the program longer than 13 minutes I don't get any popup messages.
    Also the licdebug.log file looks much more correct now. In the file I see the usage heartbeats with success as you mentioned was missing in the previous attempts.

This leads to the following question:
    Why is Bentley Map PowerView more sensitive to some registry keys that both MicroStation, Bentley Map Standalone and PowerCivil for Denmark handles fine?
    Do you think it's possible to identify which registry keys is damaging the activation process?

I don't know if this is the solution seen on a long term scale, but I'll wait and see.

We have this problem at two customers also, so I will try it there too.
    I have fixed it on two machines in our company now. Both Windows 10.

Regards

Rune
  • I am delighted to hear that PowerView is logging usage after essentially performing a clean installation. I must defer to the PowerView support team to determine what installation issues contributed to the usage logging problems which affected its ability to properly activate.

Reply Children
No Data