BUG REPORT: Connect License Client Adapter not working with Mstn Connect Update 10

Hi,

I applied the Microstation Connection Update 10 today (v10.10.0.23) .  It is not making use of the Connect License Client (v11.0.0.120) / Connect License Client Adapter (v10.2.0.151).  When I go into the Licensing Tool and try to install it into a new Bentley product, it does not find Microstation version 10, only v8i (SS3).

This is a major bug because of two reasons:
1) The purpose of this licensing software is to prevent overages.  Right now there is no warning if we were to have an overage.  Will the Bentley billing department try to charge us for overages due to the software failure?
2) There was no indication of a failure.  I had to manually check to discover that the licensing client was not working properly. 

These bugs were previously reported with previous Microstation updates during the licensing software beta phase.  These issues should have been resolved prior to releasing this product.

--Thanks,
--Robert Arnold

• Hi Mr. Arnold

This should be fixed now. Please post again if you have any further issues.

Daniel

• Hi Daniel,

That helps.  Microstation Connect update 10 now shows up in the Licensing Tool "Adapter Update Wizard", but I now have to go to each computer and install or repair Microstation Connect.

This is still a significant bug.  1) There was no warning that there was a failure, so how am I supposed to know to fix it?  2) I have computers off premise, so it's a challenge to verify that each computer has been "repaired". 

How do we get this bug fixed so that it will not happen again?

--Thanks,
    --Robert

• This is going to be the workflow for an upgrade of a product from one version supporting the Adapter to another version while we transition to the new licensing. MicroStation, as well as all of our other products, are built using the legacy license client that uses activation keys.  The Adapter is installed for a particular version so it acts like a bridge to the new CONNECT Licensing.  But, once the upgrade to a new product version is done, the bridge needs to be rebuilt for the new version by running the Adapter Update Wizard again in Repair mode. 

That should have worked for you the first time and it was a bug that it didn't. We can make sure that any new version going forward is ready to support the Adapter on the day of release, but running the update wizard is still going to be required on product updates until we've fully integrated CONNECT Licensing into the product thus replacing the legacy license client and removing the need for the bridge. 

The good news is that we'll soon be releasing product versions with that direct integration with CONNECT Licensing, so this extra step on an upgrade should not be a persistent issue.  it will take time to have releases of all of our products with this integration, but it will happen.

Daniel

Answer Verified By: RobertArnold 

• Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the explanation.  At first, my request would be that the upgrade / setup installer would check to see if the Adapter is installed, then if it is installed, automatically run the rebuild command.  But now that I think of it, I would like to revise that request...  The Adapter should be able to check for installed Bentley products and warn you if the adapter is not installed for a product.  The issue that I am trying to address is that there is no warning that the adapter is not working for a particular product.  If the adapter would periodically check, and then give a warning, that would be a much better model.  Of course, it would also have to store information about products that the user has chosen not to use the adapter with.

--Thanks,
    --Robert