How do I turn Connection Client off?

How do I turn CC off? Even if I exit the program it comes right back!! Why is this? Why can't I have it on when i want it on?

Parents
  • Hi Stuart,

I second your question.  I have three different conditions:
    1) My main work computer--I always want Connection Client on and logged in.
    2) My home computer--Sometimes I don't open a Bentley product for six months--why do I have to have the Connection Client logged in every day?
    3) My laptop computer--When I have limited or no internet access, the Connection Client is just a drain on the battery and the limited network that I have.

Unfortunately, that also leads to a second question...  If the Connection Client hasn't logged into the Bentley server in the last seven days, then if you can't access the server the time you need to use a Bentley product, it won't let you!  The seven day window is too small.  With the work computer, I could be on vacation for a week.  With my laptop, I may not turn it on for a week or two.  Then when I am in the field and I suddenly need to look up something on a dgn, my software (including the free viewer) suddenly says that I'm not entitled to use the software that I've paid for.

Bentley, The Connection Client / Licensing system could use some re-thinking.  1) Someone should not need to have the Connection Client running all the time on their secondary computers.  2) The 7-day period is not a realistic limit for something on an annual contract.  3) The free viewer should not require a Connection Client login.

--Thanks,
    --Robert

• 1) Someone should not need to have the Connection Client running all the time on their secondary computers

Agree entirely. In fact at the moment I am being told by our IT support that it is CC that is throttling my incoming broadband to a crawl. This is a problem as I'm working from home and need to speed to be able to work. I suppose I could uninstall CC!! 

• Has anyone from the Bentley team looked at this? I need to know why I can't turn CC off, without uninstalling? Shouldn't the user have the option to decide if this is on or off?

• You can kill it using Task Manager each time you log into Windows. Under the Task Manager "Details" tab you will need to End Task for 2 Bentley Connection Client modules that are running (sorry can't give you the exact names right now as I don't have it installed on this computer). When you do both, it goes away for the rest of the time you are logged in. You might also be able to disable it starting up by using the Task Manager "Startup" tab as well.

• The 2 tasks are Bentley.Connect.Client.exe and Bentley.Licensing.Service.exe. My machine does have a 2nd user account, I have tried removing the 3 tasks (Bentley.*) from startup, works for a bit ,but they seem to come back for what ever reason.

Connect r17 10.17.2.61 self-employed-Unpaid Beta tester for Bentley

• We built a little batch script to stop the two processes and added it to the startup and on the desktop. That way it kills the CC after it starts (can't stop it starting), and then the one on the desktop allows you to kill the processes simply after Bentley software use.

DOS/CMD/bat file:

taskkill /F /IM "Bentley.Connect.Client.exe"
    taskkill /F /IM "Bentley.Licensing.Service.exe"

PowerShell:

Stop-Process -Name "Bentley.Connect.Client" -Force
    Stop-Process -Name "Bentley.Licensing.Service" -Force

• We built a little batch script to stop the two processes and added it to the startup and on the desktop. That way it kills the CC after it starts (can't stop it starting), and then the one on the desktop allows you to kill the processes simply after Bentley software use.

DOS/CMD/bat file:

taskkill /F /IM "Bentley.Connect.Client.exe"
    taskkill /F /IM "Bentley.Licensing.Service.exe"

PowerShell:

Stop-Process -Name "Bentley.Connect.Client" -Force
    Stop-Process -Name "Bentley.Licensing.Service" -Force

Children
No Data