What is going on with the Connection Client? Is there a conflict with a recent Windows10 update or what?

We have been facing major problems with Connection Client recently. The client application won't start properly. It will launch up to 50 instances and reserves 100% of the  CPU resources.

Furthermore, Microstation, which is our main design tool does not work either because Connection Client doesn't allow it to launch. This problem has occured in five workstations so far. We have 20 workstations running Microstation and this kind of faulty program will cause some serious trouble if it will hang all workstations...

Removing and re-installing Connection Client & Bentley apps didn't help. I managed to get one computer up and running by re-installing the Win 10 OS and all applications but it would be a total nightmare to re-install every single computer.

Is there some solution for fixing the problem?

Regards

Yrjö Ala-Heikkilä

Parents
  • Hello Yrjo,

For the issue of multiple instances of CONNECTION Client running and consuming significant CPU resources, please check whether KB5011831 is installed under Installed Updates in the Programs and Feature control panel. Removing it may resolve the problem.

Regards,
    Abhishek

Answer Verified By: Abhishek Paranjape 

• KB5013942 is a cumulative update which also incorporates KB5011831. Either update may cause this problem to manifest with CONNECTION Client. If the problem surfaces, please temporarily either of these updates if present for now. We are still investigating internally.

• We had the same issue yesterday with the KB5013842 update. I had to go to each workstation (15) and uninstall the update. We also paused the windows updates for 7 days. And we will have to keep doing this until the issue is resolved. I had to go to 2 different Bentley  tech support people until someone was willing to help yesterday. The first guy didn't know what the problem was and did not offer any support. He didn't even start a service ticket. The 2nd person knew exactly what to do and created a service ticket. Thank goodness I called back. But we basically figured it out when all of the computers had this windows update. It was a pain to deal with, but we got it figured out. Our company was basically shut down for 3/4 of the day. The strange this is one of our computers had no issue with connection client and installed that update.

• We had the same issue yesterday with the KB5013842 update. I had to go to each workstation (15) and uninstall the update. We also paused the windows updates for 7 days. And we will have to keep doing this until the issue is resolved. I had to go to 2 different Bentley  tech support people until someone was willing to help yesterday. The first guy didn't know what the problem was and did not offer any support. He didn't even start a service ticket. The 2nd person knew exactly what to do and created a service ticket. Thank goodness I called back. But we basically figured it out when all of the computers had this windows update. It was a pain to deal with, but we got it figured out. Our company was basically shut down for 3/4 of the day. The strange this is one of our computers had no issue with connection client and installed that update.

Children