Getting up-to-date information from SelectServer V8i

We have just gone live with MicroStation V8i family of products and are using a hosted Select Server license at Bentley.

I need to know at what point I can judge that the usage figures reported are complete so that I can generate meaningful management reports - i.e. how often do client PCs with an activated license send their usage back to Bentley HQ - it certainly does not appear to be every day.

Is there any way to configure the clients to set a particular license reporting interval?

The clients are PCs permanently connected to the network with an active Internet connection.

Parents
  • Client workstations transmit their logs to SELECTserver once a day, when the first Bentley application is run that day.  As a result you are actually transmitting yesterdays usage today and today's usage will be transmitted tomorrow.   So if a machine is connected to the network all the time and everyone uses a XM or V8i application everyday then your reports will be acurrate up to 1 day ago.   But of course this usaully isn't the case.  We generally say that reports are accurate 30 days in the rear because all workstations must report usage withing 30 days are they will go into a deactivated state.

If you would like to force all of your machines to transmit logs at a certain time every day, Say Midnight... You could setup a scheduled task to execute Bentley.LicTransmit.exe.  This file is located in the same directory that MicroStation was installed.

-Marcus Kellermann 

• Client workstations transmit their logs to SELECTserver once a day, when the first Bentley application is run that day.  As a result you are actually transmitting yesterdays usage today and today's usage will be transmitted tomorrow.   So if a machine is connected to the network all the time and everyone uses a XM or V8i application everyday then your reports will be acurrate up to 1 day ago.   But of course this usaully isn't the case.  We generally say that reports are accurate 30 days in the rear because all workstations must report usage withing 30 days are they will go into a deactivated state.

If you would like to force all of your machines to transmit logs at a certain time every day, Say Midnight... You could setup a scheduled task to execute Bentley.LicTransmit.exe.  This file is located in the same directory that MicroStation was installed.

-Marcus Kellermann 

Children
  • Marcus

Thanks for that information - it makes it a bit clearer - but I am not convinced we are getting all the log information for machines I know have been in use - I will have to try and monitor a few local machines and see what gets sent. It would have been more useful if the usage was sent at the end of a session - otherwise if someone is on leave you might not get the information for weeks.

The LicTransmit exe sounds useful but our CAD software has been virtualised using MicroSoft Application Virtualization and that folder is hidden to me until I can get someone to provide me a link to it!