MS_IDLETIMEOUT variable

If I set this variable will Microstation just shut down? I have seen a reference that says Microstation will warn the user to be shut down. Will it give the warning and then shut down or does the user need to accept the terms? Also, will it shut down Microstation if the user has something like InRoads running with unsaved work? I would assume that InRoads would prompt to save any work and would need user interaction before Microstation could shut down. One last thing, if the user has Microstation running and locks there computer and leaves for the day, will Microstation still be able to shut down without user interaction?

I have users that are in the habit of leaving Microstation running and leaving for the day. When I come in early to make modifications to resource files I am unable to because the files are being accessed. Since Select Server no longer allows me to see who has Microstation running I do not have an easy way to see what machine is causing the issue.

Any other suggestions to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Parents Reply Children
  • In case anyone is interested with the response from Bentley Tech support:

ST Number: {ticketno:[8001281222]}

The idle timeout does not need any interaction from the user. The warning dialog box is a message that the software is about to shut down. Without the user doing anything, the software will shut down by itself.

Any programs running with MicroStation (InRoads) will also shut down with MicroStation. They will not prevent MicroStation from shutting down.

The only thing that may be an issue is that you need to restart MicroStation before the change to the variable takes effect. If the user closed the drawing but was still in MicroStation Manager, the program will not timeout and close. It only times out when you are in an active drawing file. This should not be a problem for you. I tested it and you can still delete or replace files in the workspace when the user is in MicroStation Manager.

Microstation CONNECT - 10.17.2.61

ORD - 2021 R1 10.10.1.3

ORD 2022 R1.1 - 10.11.3.2

ORD 2022 R3 -  10.12.2.4

Microstation v8i SS 10 - 08.11.09.919

Power InRoads v8i - 08.11.09.615

ProjectWise - 10.0.3.453

• Users will loose any unsaved InRoads files. But if the power went out, the same thing would happen too.

IMHO, it should not be your responsibility if they loose work because they forgot to save. And if it happens too often, then shame on them.

Charles (Chuck) Rheault
    CADD Manager

MDOT State Highway Administration
    Maryland DOT - State Highway Administration User Communities Page

• MicroStation user since IGDS, InRoads user since TDP.
    • AutoCAD, Land Desktop and Civil 3D, off and on since 1996