We have a locally hosted license file, but a current contract supplies licenses, hosted by Bentley, for MicroStation and GEOPAK. Our local server hosts MicroStation and various InRoads Products.
When working on this particular project, we need to access the Bentley server. On any other projects, we need to access our server. Can this be done?
Currently, it appears that the licensing is locked onto out local server and I am unable to change this. I have one user who may end up only using the Bentley hosted licenses, but unless I can divorce it from our server, I don't know how this will work.
To change the license configuration locate the licensetool.exe application on the workstation and run it. Once it opens, select tools>options to change the server name and activation key that the workstation is configured to use. You can access the license tool from within the application however it may vary per application how you execute the license management tool. For example, to open the license tool while in Microstation select Utilities>license management and that will also run licensetool.exe.
For the other workstations that may need to run both licenses, one possible workaround would be to check out the licenses from your local server and then configure the license management tool to connect to their server. The licenses you checkout would count against your SELECTserver but would be removed from the total number available to other users using your SELECTserver for the duration of the checkout period. Another option would be to use the license command line tool options and set the activation key per product. Please see the technote below on how to use the command line options.
I'm not sure I follow. You say I can use the command line tool and set an activation per product?
I looked at the link but am not sure what I would need to do to make this work.
The PC's I need to setup like this are in other offices, so I cannot really test this unless I am in those offices, which is not that often.
I have opened a TR but that was after posting this and all I have so far is the automated response from the initial report.
Charles (Chuck) Rheault CADD Manager
MDOT State Highway Administration
I am in the office where I need this to work. I have opened a command prompt and tried entering the commands to switch the product activation to a Bentley server as required for this contract. The command reports the settings are saved, but if I immediately run the status command - it still reports our local hosted server.
From inside the product, if I run the license tool, it continues to show our server and if I look at the options, it reports "The following options have been set by your SELECTserver administrator. Users may not change them."
Then it lists Server Name and Site Activation Key. When I press OK, it shows me the Current Settings, grayed out of our local server and the activation key as *********************************
How can I make this work. For all intents and purposes, I am the Site Administrator and I cannot change it.
One thing to note, most products only post its usages daily to the SELECTserver. Make sure you do a send log now from the license tool before changing the keys; otherwise you will not post the correct usages to the correct site.
Sounds like the original licensing details were set via Group Policy which over-rides any other licensing locations and results in the message you are seeing about 'The following options have been set by your SELECTserver administrator'. Further information on the subject can be found here: communities.bentley.com/.../default.aspx. It would be necessary to send new licensing details via Group Policy, or edit the registry manually, taking care as usual when changing anything in the registry.
Answer Verified By: Michael Dougherty