[V8i] Activation With Registry but Still Receiving Trial Window When Launched

Hello,

I could not find this issue in any other thread. I am setting up a package to install MicroStation V8i SS3 on several Windows 7 64-Bit computers. I am using registry keys exported from a test machine I already activated via Activation Wizard. Registry information is being imported to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bentley\Licensing\1.1.

Everything works fine and MicroStation activates every time after a first install and running the reg file (testing on several machines) but the "MicroStation - Activation Status" window always appears, the one that displays as if it was a trial asking to Buy, Activate, or Try, even though it is activated. It only happens the first time MicroStation is launched but I don't want to roll it out to a hundred people and have them confused because they are not sure what to do (or what button to push).

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? It would be very helpful.

Thank you

Parents
  • This is not the best method to accomplish this.  Do to the complexity of the registry, and where we store settings based on the users rights (admin or not) and UAC and  what operating system your running on and whether or not that OS is 32 bit or 64 bit makes this impractical to support.    Group policies are the industry standard for this type of thing, mass deployments is the reason why Microsoft created them and is why we chose to implement support for them.  Delivered with SELECTServer is a Group Policy template ADM called BentleyLicensing.adm. This will give administrators the ability to apply the SELECTServer settings to the desired objects.   

Additionally in order to appease those that won’t embrace Microsoft’s group policies, we developed the LicenseToolCmd.exe which is a command line executable that allows for the scripting of the SELECTserver settings.  The script can either be a part of the user’s login script that is executed every time they login or run once when the machine is configured. 

To populate the server name and activation key for the SELECTserver license, you can run a script to set this. After the installation, there will be a file called Licensetoolcmd.exe in the program's installation folder. Your script should use the following syntax:

...\Licensetoolcmd.exe configure /setting:selectserver /value:selectserver.bentley.com

…\Licensetoolcmd.exe configure /setting:activationkey /value:ABCDEFGHIJKL1234567890

I hope this helps,

Mike

Answer Verified By: Brahms 

BentleyLicensing.zip

• Thank you Michael! After countless searching including contacting Bentley for other solutions, I did not even know this was an option and I agree it is much better than adding the registry manually.

Unfortunately, it does not solve the trial window popping up the first time ms is launched. I am going to assume this would not be the case with the group policies? My IT department would prefer not to use a group policy but sounds like this is my only option.

Thanks again for the help and I will leave this open for now in case anyone knows how to solve the trial issue.

• Thank you Michael! After countless searching including contacting Bentley for other solutions, I did not even know this was an option and I agree it is much better than adding the registry manually.

Unfortunately, it does not solve the trial window popping up the first time ms is launched. I am going to assume this would not be the case with the group policies? My IT department would prefer not to use a group policy but sounds like this is my only option.

Thanks again for the help and I will leave this open for now in case anyone knows how to solve the trial issue.

Children