This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SELECT subscription changes for 2014

I've just had a very lengthy email from Bentley regarding the above. To be honest I'm not sure that I understand most of it and would be grateful if someone could explain. How is this likely to effcet our company which has 7 MicroStation licences and one MXSite on SELECT and a couple of non SELECT MicroStation licences. 

What if we don't want to opt in to SELECT OPen Access, as the chances of use buying additional licences are slim?

Why do individuals have to be identified? I have access to SELECT and can download and install updates to all our users as required. 

What project level information do you require and why? 

The use of 'Quarterly Term LIcensing' will alienate the smaller companies especially if they start getting invoices for over usage. 

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Parents
  • As we continue to expand the Be Communities support forums, this is definitely the appropriate place to discuss SELECT Open Access.

With the introduction of SELECT Open Access and our continuing commitment to User Satisfaction,additional experts are now monitoring the SELECTserver and Product Activation support forum (this forum). We are here and ready to address your questions regarding SELECT Open Access.

In the near future, additional documentation will be made available within the Wiki section of this Community to further expand upon this new and exciting SELECT Program.

Feel free to ask your questions, we will respond individually as soon as possible!

• Unknown said:

As we continue to expand the Be Communities support forums, this is definitely the appropriate place to discuss SELECT Open Access.

With the introduction of SELECT Open Access and our continuing commitment to User Satisfaction,additional experts are now monitoring the SELECTserver and Product Activation support forum (this forum). We are here and ready to address your questions regarding SELECT Open Access.

In the near future, additional documentation will be made available within the Wiki section of this Community to further expand upon this new and exciting SELECT Program.

Feel free to ask your questions, we will respond individually as soon as possible!

Thanks for the response. Could you let me have answers to the questions in my original post.
  • Another question that came out of my conversation with my Accounts Manager. There io lots of talk about over usage but what about under usage of licence. We have 7no. MicroStation licences but over the last 3 months our average use was 4no, although we did have some over usage as well.

Hopefully Bentley will take this into account when working out usage and billing.

• Unknown said:
    • We are also taking software under-utilization into consideration

Elisabeth, please expand on this. Thank you.

• stuartw said:

Another question that came out of my conversation with my Accounts Manager. There io lots of talk about over usage but what about under usage of licence. We have 7no. MicroStation licences but over the last 3 months our average use was 4no, although we did have some over usage as well.

Hopefully Bentley will take this into account when working out usage and billing.

Elisabeth Please could you confirm Bentleys position on under usage of licences. It obviously wouldn't be fair to penalisae us for the few times we are over when most of the time we are well under or licence allocation.

• It's not only small organizations that worry.

stuartw outlined the real purpose: Bentley sets up their own money printer. They define what overusage is. They don't give us a licence limiter. They force us into contracts to open this "subscription model". They wrapped it into nice paper of "advantages" that we totally need.

I'm ready to fight, you know ;) And I'm NOT alone >:-)

Bigean

• This is the response from my Account Manager to the definition of under usage:

We consider the pooled use, the number of unique machines that access a license during 1 hour. Highest quarterly peak determines the usage. The peak hour of the quarter counts as usage for that product.

In order for a product to receive a Quarterly term license invoice, their usage must exceed their owned covered quantity by 4 or more times during the quarter and the fifth is aggregate use of portfolio. Aggregate use of portfolio is a check put in place to avoid invoicing a user whom may be over using a single product but in aggregate across all of their products, they are severe net under users.

To determine the aggregate value of the portfolio we first multiply both the covered quantities and the used quantities of products by the SELECT list price. This allows us to compare the approximate SELECT values of both covered and used quantities. Then we divide the Used SELECT value by the Covered SELECT value. If this ratio is greater than 75% then this usage is considered to be billed on SELECT Open Access terms and an invoice will be sent only for those products that were overused.

If the account fails and the ratio is under 75% threshold and user will not receive an invoice for the product that he is overusing.

I don't understand some of the terminology so can't actually work out what it means! What are 'covered' licences?

• This is the response from my Account Manager to the definition of under usage:

We consider the pooled use, the number of unique machines that access a license during 1 hour. Highest quarterly peak determines the usage. The peak hour of the quarter counts as usage for that product.

In order for a product to receive a Quarterly term license invoice, their usage must exceed their owned covered quantity by 4 or more times during the quarter and the fifth is aggregate use of portfolio. Aggregate use of portfolio is a check put in place to avoid invoicing a user whom may be over using a single product but in aggregate across all of their products, they are severe net under users.

To determine the aggregate value of the portfolio we first multiply both the covered quantities and the used quantities of products by the SELECT list price. This allows us to compare the approximate SELECT values of both covered and used quantities. Then we divide the Used SELECT value by the Covered SELECT value. If this ratio is greater than 75% then this usage is considered to be billed on SELECT Open Access terms and an invoice will be sent only for those products that were overused.

If the account fails and the ratio is under 75% threshold and user will not receive an invoice for the product that he is overusing.

I don't understand some of the terminology so can't actually work out what it means! What are 'covered' licences?

Children
  • stuartw said:

"covered" means licenses you have in the pool (prepaid, existing)

How complicated! So if all your products combined usage is 75% or less compared to the existing licenses (compared are the list prices of Select Fee). you will not be charged for overusage.

Example: Product A costs 1100 Select brutto per year, Product B 2000 per year

So you have 15 product A and 1 product B (value of 16500+2000)

In a quarter you peak used 13 product A, but 2 product B (value of 14300+4000)

You have 18500, but used 18300 -> usage is 99% of owned -> you pay the overuse of product B

Or you have 5 product A and 1 product B (value of 5500+2000)

In a quarter you peak used 5 product A, but 2 product B (value of 5500 +4000)

You have 7500, but used 9500 -> usage is 127% of owned -> you pay the overuse of product B

Or you have 500 product A and 10 product B (value of 550000+20000)

In a quarter you peak used 230 product A, but 15 product B (value of 253000+30000)

You have 570000, but used 283000-> usage is 50% of owned -> you don't pay the overuse of product B

Put in your figures. If you have too many licenses, you might get away with it.

Bigean

• Unknown said:

Example: Product A costs 1100 Select brutto per year, Product B 2000 per year

The costs are not based on the SELECT fee but on the original program cost. Unless this has now changed.

A response from Bentley would be good.

• It's not so clear, right

SELECT list price

"SELECT price": annual SELECT fee or product purchase price?

"list price": Gross (or discounted net?) ... price list of country?

Bigean

• Unknown said:

How complicated! So if all your products combined usage is 75% or less compared to the existing licenses (compared are the list prices of Select Fee). you will not be charged for overusage.

I think that your figures are not correct but  will let Bentley correct me on this.

Say we have 7no. licences of product A (£4500) and 1no. of product B (£2000), and in one quarters we overused product A by four times, the calculation is:

Covered licences - (7 x 4500) + (1 x 2000) = 33,500.

Used licences - 4 x 4500 = 18,000

Therefore 18000/33,500 x 100 = 53.7% which is OK.

Looking at this we would need to over use product A by 6 times before we are charged. 

Could someone at Bentley please confirm if these figures are correct or not.

Also I'n still not seeing how under usage is added to the calculation.

• Please could Bentley respond to the queries regarding over/under usage capitulations, as this is still not clear.