OpenAccess / license file

I just went into SelectServer to check our license file after we went open access, and was a bit astonished to find that we now are licensed to use all of the Bentley products.

While this is according to what we were told, the license file doesn't provide any information anymore about what we are being charged for extra, and what not.

How do I find out about that easily on SelectServer?

Parents
  • Unknown said:

How do I find out about that easily on SelectServer?

Andreas, I don't think you do.  So far it seems that Bentley has no intention of providing admins with that information on SelectServer.  You will have to find it in your billing statement then monitor the peak usage yourself to see if it is trending and predict when you may cross over the line.  As far as I understand you are given 3 grace instances (sessions/days) a quarter where if you go over you will not be billed

• Yes once an account moves to Open Access, SELECTserver displays unlimited usage quantities. Fulfillment documents are definitely one way to view your owned quantities of licenses so that you can begin to monitor and manage your license usage via SELECTserver.

An additional tool to view usage and contract quantities is the Bentley Connect SELECTServices usage portal. This tool was designed to clearly display the correlation between your SELECTserver usage and a Quarterly Term License Invoice. We have future plans to combine the functionality of SELECTserver (reporting, administration, and notification) with the functionality of the Usage Portal (contract quantity/usage comparison) into one tool.

• Unknown said:

I don't understand why it does not collect specific machine and hourly data anyway, I thought the contract mentioned collecting both of these and additionally project information.  I guess I will need read it again.

SELECT server does collect machine names, You can run reports based on machine names.

• ...Begin to monitor...?  No! The correct statement would be 'Try to explain to your president why we have to potentially pay thousands of dollars for something that we have ZERO ability to monitor while it's happening. Its like an open check to Bentley. In a normal budgeting scenario you world the calculate the # of licenses required and obtain said licenses with ZERO worries that you would be charged extra because you shouldn't be allowed to use more licenses than you purchased.  Instead, you give the purchasing power to the end user, the person least likely to be concerned about it.  Give the power to those that are responsible.

• The real difficult part to accept of this whole thing is that there doesn't seem to be an option to NOT have 'unlimited' access to licenses (i.e. opt out of OpenAccess altogether).  The way it was explained to us where that the only options are to be part of the program (pay less of a quarterly lease [fine] on overages) or not part of the program (pay more of a quarterly lease on overages).

Please correct me if I am wrong, and our company will probably just go back to that.

Now if we could all figure out a way to apply this business model to our own products [without losing clients], then we would have something.

• stuartw said:

SELECT server does collect machine names, You can run reports based on machine names.

Stuartw,

I was merely reiterating what Elisabeth was telling us.

Unknown said:

...As for the usage graph for deployed users- the hourly details of usage are not delievered to Bentley- only  daily peak usage. For the purpose of the tool, we populated with generic names and all day usage since Bentley does not know which machines caused usage.......

Agreed, as far as I know it IS supposed to do that.  I just don't understand why my report looks the way it does.

• New to this forum, signed up so I could join the chorus in railing against the new licensing scheme from Bentley.  Here are a couple of emails to Bentley which have gone unanswered for the most part (at least in terms of the parts that matter):

April 14, 2014

I followed the instructions below to ‘arrange that you receive an email notification when your usage exceeds your license pool.’  On Saturday I received 139 overage notification emails from SELECTserverOnline@bentley.com, most of which had usage dates from 2012 and 2013 and many of them repeats.  I have attached an example.  I hope that this is not the system we are relying on to accurately track our usage and automatically generate invoices.

Again, with no malice toward you personally, this is ridiculous.  The reporting portal that you showed me on Friday incorrectly thinks that we have no seats of PondPack and the other portal is sending me overage notifications from 2012.  We have zero confidence that we will be satisfied with or treated fairly by this new Open Access subscription model, nor do we see any benefit to our company.  We have already begun reevaluating our strategy for hydraulic analysis software.

We are more than willing to work with a system that allows us to use what we pay for, and nothing more.  We are not looking for free software, just a fair system that doesn’t penalize us unjustly or force us spend valuable time trying to track something we have never had to track before.

We request that you please share our sentiments with the appropriate decision makers at Bentley.

April 17, 2014

Thank you for the info.  Unfortunately, nothing in any of those articles was new or addressed the concerns in my attached email of April 14th.  The bottom line is that Bentley expects us to be satisfied with a system that automatically charges us for over-usage and only provides us with ‘after-the-fact’ reporting.  On top of that, neither of the reporting tools are working correctly, as described below.

• SELECT Server admin page at  selectserver.bentley.com/.../default.aspx

I setup email notifications on Friday of last week.  After the initial barrage of 139 overage notifications on Saturday, I continue to receive the attached notification every morning between 6 and 7 AM.

select.bentley.com/selectopenaccessportal

The tool shows an overage for PondPack based on us owning zero licenses (instead of the two we actually own).  The tool shows an overage for WaterCAD based on us owning zero licenses (instead of the one we actually own).  And so on…

The time we have already spent dealing with and discussing this is valuable and should have been spent in more profitable pursuits.  We are hopeful that Bentley will abandon this new licensing model.  Absent that we will continue to plan for transitioning to other software options.

• New to this forum, signed up so I could join the chorus in railing against the new licensing scheme from Bentley.  Here are a couple of emails to Bentley which have gone unanswered for the most part (at least in terms of the parts that matter):

April 14, 2014

I followed the instructions below to ‘arrange that you receive an email notification when your usage exceeds your license pool.’  On Saturday I received 139 overage notification emails from SELECTserverOnline@bentley.com, most of which had usage dates from 2012 and 2013 and many of them repeats.  I have attached an example.  I hope that this is not the system we are relying on to accurately track our usage and automatically generate invoices.

Again, with no malice toward you personally, this is ridiculous.  The reporting portal that you showed me on Friday incorrectly thinks that we have no seats of PondPack and the other portal is sending me overage notifications from 2012.  We have zero confidence that we will be satisfied with or treated fairly by this new Open Access subscription model, nor do we see any benefit to our company.  We have already begun reevaluating our strategy for hydraulic analysis software.

We are more than willing to work with a system that allows us to use what we pay for, and nothing more.  We are not looking for free software, just a fair system that doesn’t penalize us unjustly or force us spend valuable time trying to track something we have never had to track before.

We request that you please share our sentiments with the appropriate decision makers at Bentley.

April 17, 2014

Thank you for the info.  Unfortunately, nothing in any of those articles was new or addressed the concerns in my attached email of April 14th.  The bottom line is that Bentley expects us to be satisfied with a system that automatically charges us for over-usage and only provides us with ‘after-the-fact’ reporting.  On top of that, neither of the reporting tools are working correctly, as described below.

• SELECT Server admin page at  selectserver.bentley.com/.../default.aspx

I setup email notifications on Friday of last week.  After the initial barrage of 139 overage notifications on Saturday, I continue to receive the attached notification every morning between 6 and 7 AM.

select.bentley.com/selectopenaccessportal

The tool shows an overage for PondPack based on us owning zero licenses (instead of the two we actually own).  The tool shows an overage for WaterCAD based on us owning zero licenses (instead of the one we actually own).  And so on…

The time we have already spent dealing with and discussing this is valuable and should have been spent in more profitable pursuits.  We are hopeful that Bentley will abandon this new licensing model.  Absent that we will continue to plan for transitioning to other software options.

Children
  • Unknown said:

New to this forum, signed up so I could join the chorus in railing against the new licensing scheme from Bentley.  

Welcome to the forums. 

Unknown said:

I couldn't agree more on all points. The sad thing is that there hasn't been a lot of joined up thinking on Bentleys part. I not sure how they thought that this would be a good idea. Overall it is making the company look bad, especially now that other companies are using it for their own marketing. 

Bottom line is that they need to sort this out quickly.