Bentley Licensing SCAM - beware

So, It appears to me that Bentley has changed it's licensing system from helpful to a scam. 

About 3 months ago I was contacted by an "account representative" that told me that I had several occasions where I was over the number of licenses that I had purchased, which wasn't possible....since I am a 5 person firm with only THREE users, and have THREE licenses of Microstation, I was told by this "Account representative" that I needed to sign up for a different licensing agreement or I would be assigned the more expensive one without it being my choice. So I did...I agreed to "Select open access"...this was suppose to be the best solution to me according to this account rep.

This week I got a "WARNING" that I would be recieving a punitive invoice for OVER USE of my agreed license unless I purchased another copy of microstation, and was sent a spreadsheet that showed 4 days over the past 3 months that there were 4 uses of Microstation.....the impending invoice is $5000. 

The best part is that the FORTH license is being reported from a computer that is only used by a remote person to remote desktop into to connect to our server, not a forth employee.

I have asked this "Account representative" to give me his supervisors information and so far he has refused.

Parents Reply Children
  • Unknown said:

Thank you Tyler, I couldn't get the account rep to provide me with his supervisors information and felt this may be the next step. I have been a Microstation user for over 30 years, and I have NEVER felt like the system was set up to be punitive, but I can assure you the emails that I have recieved would be percieved by any user on here that's not the case anymore, and I certainly hope this isn't the new Bentley model.

It is most definitely their new business model. Browse the forums, there are numerous complaints.  I applaud you for taking this to the Attorney general and making them aware of these issues.  Good luck and keep us posted as there are many out there like you.