an error has occurred while attempting to verify the server and activation key

Recently the activation prompt diplayed when i started Microstation, which typically indicates I hadn't transmitted logs in the last 30 days. Typically, I can just access the admin site page and take care if this slight issue with little effort. However, this time i receive the error message "an error has occurred while attempting to verify the server and activation key" when I attempted to activate and when I couldn't access the admin site page either.

Nothing has changed lately, so this was surprising.

We have a Deployed (local) selectserver Version 08.11.08.25 and i can't acces the admin site page.

Please help, thanks.

• Nope, it's not functioning properly...I get the "error 404.0-not found"  This seems to be the key, just need to fix it somehow.

• Okay, IIS appears to be broken then. I propose removing and installing it again. The following Microsoft technical note provides removal instructions, and the following Microsoft technical note provides installation instructions for Windows Server 2008 R2. Please note that default installation settings for IIS are sufficient for SELECTserver. If an IIS page now displays when navigating to http://localhost from the server, then we can confirm that IIS is functioning properly. If successful, please remove and install SELECTserver again to re-establish a connection between SELECTserver and IIS for the SELECTserver administration site.

As an alternative to the steps above, we can also migrate your licenses to SELECTserver OnLine (aka Bentley CONNECT SELECTservices), Bentley's licensing solution on the Internet. This would eliminate the need for a SELECTserver on your end. The option is offered free of charge and is actually encouraged by Bentley because it reduces setup, administration, and support efforts on your side as well as ours. All that is required is approval from a SELECT site administrator to start the migration process. The process involves making a copy of your licenses on Bentley's server and sending you a notification email with the new license settings once complete. Your existing SELECTserver, if still functioning, would continue to function until the current license file expires, providing a transitional period during which client workstations can be configured with the new server name in the License Management Tool. Please let me know if you are interested in migrating to SELECTserver OnLine.

Answer Verified By: Tamicca Sellars 

• I think migrating to SELECTserver Online is the way to go.  As long as it truly isn't tied to any additional cost.

Let's migrate.

Thank you

• To confirm, the SELECTserver OnLine option does not cost you anything. A service request has been created for the migration, and an initial email has been sent to you (coming from support@bentley.com). You will be notified once the migration has been completed.