Subscription Entitlement Service frequently asked questions
1. What is Subscription Entitlement Service?
Subscription Entitlement Service is Bentley’s updated licensing management system that provides additional functionality to optimize the value of your Bentley Subscription. License entitlements are granted and maintained through User Management by the replacement of site activation keys with user validation in order to enhance security around your Bentley licenses and subscriptions.
2. How do I enable Subscription Entitlement Service?
First, your users must be registered. Click here for detailed instructions. Once users have completed registration they must install an application that features Subscription Entitlement Service.
3. Can I disable Subscription Entitlement Service?
No, Applications that are delivered with Subscription Entitlement Service cannot be disabled.
4. Does Subscription Entitlement Service work with every Bentley application?
Not at this time. However, we are currently certifying the Subscription Entitlement Service Client with our application versions. Currently, the Administrator can only see the list of applications (no version information) in the ‘Entitlement Management’ service under ‘Applications and Services’ in the CONNECT Center.
5. If I have Subscription Entitlement Service enabled for a Bentley application loaded and I install a newer product version, is Subscription Entitlement Service automatically enabled?
Yes, all newly released Bentley applications will be Subscription Entitlement Service enabled.
6. Do I need any special roles?
You’ll need an Administrator or Co-administrator role assigned to access Entitlement Management so that they can set the appropriate notification and access settings. End users do not need any special role assigned.
7. Is there an offline mode?
Yes. The Administrator can choose to enforce sign in, thus disabling offline usage.
8. Can users still check out a license?
Yes. License checkout still functions. This can be done by the Administrator via the Entitlement Management Service or by the user in the Bentley Licensing Tool.
9. Does Subscription Entitlement Service restrict usage?
No. Users can still use more applications than they have licenses, however they can enable a notification letting users know when they may be about to exceed a certain number of seats set by the Administrator in Entitlement Management.
10. Can I restrict a user from gaining access to a specific application?
Yes. The Administrator can add or remove entitlements for a single or multiple applications per user.
11. How do I know I am about to use an incremental license?
A dialog box will display a warning alert to the user when they are about to exceed a limit set by the Administrator. A custom message can be created by the Administrator to provide the user with instructions on what to do when that notification appears.
12. What do I do after I get the usage alert?
The user may either end the application session or continue to use the application. The Administrator has the ability to customize this alert to reflect you Organization's policy. If the notification option is enabled in the Entitlement Management Service, that allows the user to continue to use the application, the Administrator will be notified if the user chooses to do so. (In this case it may result in a term license being issued if that usage is incremental to the number of licenses covered under SELECT).
13. If I do not get a license notification is my Organization still responsible for application usage?
Subscribers continue to hold the responsibility to manage their licenses within the terms of the SELECT Agreement. The license alert notifications assist with license management, but is not meant to supplement the responsibility of the account to monitor their usage.
14. What might cause notifications or alerts not to occur?
Some reasons this might occur (i.e. not an exhaustive list):
15. What port(s) need to be opened for Subscription Entitlement Service?
16. Can multiple instances of the same product be open simultaneously on the same computer without incurring additional costs?
Yes, the Subscription Entitlement Service counts most product usage by the number of unique machines reporting in a time interval, either 10-minutes (SELECT) or one day (ELS/E365). Consequently, multiple instances of the same product on the same machine used simultaneously will count as a single usage.
17. Can we install our own Subscription Entitlement Service as a deployed/on-premise server?
No, Subscription Entitlement Service cannot be installed as a deployed server, it is a Bentley-hosted server only.
Other Language Sources