I just updated a project from 10.09 to 10.10 and have been experiencing some very slow loading of files. Actually, the file loads just fine, it just seems to hang on something for several minutes before I can start working in the file. I have noticed it specifically in my text files, roadway plan sheet files, and intersection detail sheet files.
The text file does have a lot of text in it, basically the entire 6 miles (43 sheets) worth. But it's just text, so it should be a huge deal. The Intersection details have some tables link data managered in, but I have set them all to not process on file open, yet I still get the hang on loading.
On top of that, once I get into the file and can move around, typically the first piece of text or leader that I click on causes the file to hang again for a minute or two before I can begin working normally.
Some things I have done to the files after upgrading:
- Update Standards from dgnlib
- Compressed the files with all items checked.
- Made sure my LDM tables aren't updating.
- Explorer is CLOSED
- Properties is CLOSED
Has anyone else been encountering these issues? It could something to do with all the text I have in these files that was placed with Text Favorites, but at least those all didn't break catastrophically like they did in the earlier 10.10 release.
Out of curiosity, what is the current size of the Text file? Are those general text w/o the Civil Labeler using text favs or where they repopulated? Where are those text favs kept (and was it also updated)? I'm curious now if the "enhanced text favorite manager" added to 2021 R1 is causing issues with project file updates. One thing I noticed is that when a text fav is used in 10.10 it doesn't seem to add it locally within the dgn or manager. Could it be that looking back to a different version of the dgnlibs holding those is the issue or did the update copy them local causing the file to bog down?
Bentley Accredited Road Designer | Bentley Accredited Road Modeler
TEXTRD01_PB is 1228 KB and the TEXTRD04_INTD is 1460 KB. Doesn't seem overly large to me. These are text files that I updated from 10.09, so there is no text from Civil Labeler in there, only normal text placed with Place Note and Text Favorite notes placed with Place Label. All of my text favorites are ones that I created and/or modified from the original stock FDOT ones. I have my own dgnlib where I keep these. I did the same thing with my Civil Labeler xml file. I keep those in the appropriate folder within C:\FDOTConnect10.10\Workspaces\FDOT\Standards. This allows those files to automatically load with ORD based on the stock FDOT Configuration Variables. In some cases, I need to edit the configuration variable, as is the case with the Civil Labeler library. I have it target my own instead of the FDOT one because you can only have one load upon opening.
I am not quite sure what is happening behind the scenes with this text. I have not placed any new text with Civil Labeler, just kept all my existing text. I recall in prior version of ORD 10.10, upgrading would blow up any text favorite-based notes placed using Place Label. That is no longer the case with the latest 10.10.21.04 (thankfully). I am wondering if there is still some sort of bug with this old text.
I have another project where I did the same thing; upgraded a 10.09 text file to 10.10. This was in the old version of 10.10, so everything got blown up. I decided to replace all of those with Civil Labeler text. But I have another post on here from a while back detailing how Civil Labeler text seems to bog down a text file as well. It's almost like the more text you place in the file, the slower it becomes. That file is only about 750 KB, but that makes sense since its way less sheets than the current files I am having issues with.
Zachary Billings, P.E.
Senior Roadway Engineer (Licensed in FL and MI)
CONSOR Engineers, LLC
Windows 11 | Intel Core i7-13700k | Nvidia RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB of RAM | 2 TB Western Digital Black SN850x NVME
ORD Version 10.12.02.004 | FDOT Connect Version 10.12.01.00
YouTube Page for ORD: https://tinyurl.com/BillingsCADD
We have definitely also noticed that files with more text in them become slower and slower, especially when you go to edit the text. If I'm not mistaken, this issue has also been reported for native MicroStation. I'd bet Bentley has some kind of memory leak in the text in Connect Edition products that needs to get patched.
For now the solution has been to break up the text files into more manageable chunks.
Eddie Giese, PEProduction Manager | Senior Roadway EngineerLicensed in FL & PAACEC FDOTConnect Instructor on behalf of FDOT
Patel, Greene & Associates, LLC PowerGEOPAK V8i SS10 (08.11.09.918)OpenRoads Designer 2021 R2 (10.10.21.4)OpenRoads Designer 2020 R3 (10.9.0.91)ProjectWise Explorer CE 10.0.3.453LumenRT CE Update 14 (126.96.36.199)
Definitely a good suggestion. I honestly don't know why I didn't break up the file into 3 different parts. I did that for everything else on the job...
Luckily this project is nearly complete, but I am certainly going to break up text files even more for my next project.
Zack; there seems to be an issue with Nested References slowing things down. I remember similar issues in SS10 and we wound up coping in the nested references to avoid it . https://communities.bentley.com/products/road___site_design/f/geopak-inroads-mx-openroads-forum/146807/openroads-designer-slow-file-open/582363#582363