I am trying to open a file on projectwise, but it is impossible with with a V8i program. I am trying to open it with SS10 08.11.09.919.
I have stumped my IT department. I have gone through and deleted all Bentley software, reinstalled, as well as restoring both V8i and CE to defaults.
I cannot even get Microstation to open the workspace configuration to see what happened, I have a hunch it has something to do with the MDLapps. I tried adding AutoTurn to Microstation Connect Edition by adding a line in the workspace configuration. It ended up not working and I removed it. Then this problem started with V8i
Something is causing your ProjectWise v8i to try and load stuff from MicroStation connect. I suspect your v8i got the projectwise configuration file from Microstation Connect some how.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Bentley\MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries)\MicroStation\config\appl\
and delete PW.CFG file there. Then reinstall projectwise.
When you say you "deleted all bentley software" did you just do uninstalls then reinstalls, or did you uninstall, delete the bentley folders off your machine, then do reinstalls?
When you just do an uninstall bentley products will leave behind files that it didn't install or have been modified. then when you reinstall those files are still there and it will reuse them. (that's why in my instructions i said to delete the pw.cfg before reinstalling).
Oh, this could also be a problem in one of the other config files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Bentley\MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries)\MicroStation\config\ too, so after deleting the pw.cfg see if Microstation opens normally outside of projectwise. if it does then just do the reinstall of ProjectWise. If it's still a problem, uninstall Microstaiton V8i, delete the folders:
and reinstall Microstation
Yes, those are the variables I changed in connect edition to try and get autoturn to work.
Could it be that CE edited the V8i config, and overrode with its own settings? As I have deleted and reinstalled all the folders, it leads me to believe somehow something on the server side for the workspace got messed up, but other people can open files in the same workspace just fine. How do you tell which .cfg it is pulling those variables from?
> Could it be that CE edited the V8i config
It's possible. When you make changes via Microstation it typically puts those changes in your UCF, if something set CE and V8i to both use the same UCF it might cause this.
Also, you might check if you have a personal workspace in ProjectWise. Go to the Tools menu > Options... See if you can see a Personal Workspace tab. If you can see if there are any entries on it.
> but other people can open files in the same workspace just fine
This is what makes me think it's something in the UCF causing the issue. Since that is typically on your local computer changes to it wouldn't affect others.
> How do you tell which .cfg it is pulling those variables from
Generally the debug will tell you, but 2 issues here, a) your debug is messed up and b) ProjectWise managed workspaces kind of screw up the debug output too and you don't see as much info about which cfg file is loading as with a regular debug.
This is the point where i start disabling configuration files and seeing if it fixes the issue. Now there are about as many different ways of putting a configuration in place for Microstation as there are companies that use it, but my general config troubleshooting steps are:
First I verify the UCF file has nothing in it. (at all, completely blank file).
You might search the machine for *cfg, *.pcf or *.ucf files and see if any have modification date/times around the time you started having problems.
If that doesn't fix it, I go to C:\ProgramData\Bentley\MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries)\WorkSpace\Standards. Rename every *.cfg file to same name but add .disabled to the end. That keeps them from loading. Try opening the file then.
If that doesn't work, Next I usually go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Bentley\MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries)\MicroStation\config\appl and create a sub-folder named disabled. I drag every file in the appl folder into that sub-folder. Try opening a file now. If it works move files from the disabled folder back into appl folder a few at a time and see if you can figure out which file is causing the issue.
After that it's most likely something your company does that we don't. Some companies modify or add files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Bentley\MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries)\MicroStation\config.
I do have a personal workspace, and see a lot of the "Connect edition" variables as well as mdl's.
This seems like it could be it!
pretty sure that's it. Try double-clicking the top line of the MS_MDL one. A dialog will open. Turn on the "Set Inactive" option. THat will comment it out. THat should comment out all of MS_MDL. Repeat for the other variables.
(or delete them all is an option too)
Answer Verified By: Peter Violette
Nailed it. Everything works great now. Thanks a lot
Gosh we love a happy ending!
Connect r17 10.17.2.61 self-employed-Unpaid Beta tester for Bentley