This post is intended to offer clarity to Hevacomp users during the continuing transition to OpenBuildings.
Introduction to the Duct System Sizing and Analysis Utility in OpenBuildings DesignerPromoting a Single Line Model to 3D in OpenBuildings Designer
For verification the following is understood with queries raised:-
1. Design Database and Dynamic Simulation - now within OpenBuildings Energy Simulator. This is to be completed in Update 9 (currently Update 8). It's noted that "Online Help Manuals" are only at Update 7 if you follow link provided. Using F1 Key in Software is not specific or clear where the manuals actually are.
2. Netsys Pipe and Duct sizing - Will be available and scheduled for completion in Update 10 (currently Update 8).
3. Mechanical Design - No mention of this content. Is this due to be included at all or in another version of OpenBuildings?
4. System Builder - No mention of this content. Is this due to be included at all or in another version of OpenBuildings?
5. Hevacomp Electrical - Future inclusion. To be confirmed which/what Update. Will this include all aspects of Connect, Nimbus & Electrical Design components?
Happy to clarify. To answer each question:
1. Design Database and Dynamic Simulation - correct, now within OpenBuildings Energy Simulator. Thanks for letting us know about the manuals - I have updated the guidance on access them here, to reflect update 8.
2. Netsys Pipe and Duct sizing - correct, this is scheduled for update 10.
3. Mechanical Design - Hevacomp should continue to be used for this.
4. System Builder - This had not actually been supported or sold for quite some time! However, the aspects of promoting sized pipe/duct to 3D is included in the pipe/duct sizing in OpenBuildings.
5. Hevacomp Electrical - Management is currently in discussion in relation to this. Note that aspects of Nimbus in relation to Daylighting calculations are already present in Energy Simulator (ie as here).
Users continue to have a free entitlement to Hevacomp throughout to aid with the above. Hope that helps to clarify.
Shane Regan | Principle Building Performance Support Engineer
Thanks Shane - I'm sure you are aware of the upcoming changes to the building regs (AD L, AD F and AD O, plus others) that come into effect in England on 15th June 2022. So far (unless I've missed it) I have seen no mention of OpenBuildings being updated to take account of the new regulations. Can you assure all us OpenBuilding users that these changes will be written into the software and approved by the authorities by this date.
Also, as there are transitional arrangements being implemented, it would seem that we will need two versions of the software to work concurrently in order to take into account the old 2013 regs and the new 2022 regs.
Hi Steve, thanks for flagging this - product management are aware and it is to be addressed in a special update (9.1). I haven't mentioned this yet to avoid any confusion! But it is indeed in the pipeline.