After installing AECOsim Building Designer on Windows 7 x64 we receive a "ClassFactory cannot supply requested class" error every time we attempt to open any DGN file. We have tried uninstalling it, removing the existing directory and reinstalling it, and also tried every delivered shortcut and different Windows user profiles, but still get the same error. We also ran the Windows 7 Update fix for AECOsim Building Designer posted on the Be Communities, but it made no difference either.
In addition, when opening Bentley Building Mechanical Systems V8i on the same machine I receive the Microsoft Visual Basic error: "System Error &H80040111 (-2147221231)".
Since none of the commonly used VBA related solutions seem to work, please try the following:
1) Type "cmd.exe" in the Windows Start Menu > "Search" field, then right-click on the command and choose "Run as Administrator" to open an Administrator level Command Prompt.
2) Type "del c:\*.exd /s", without the quotes
3) Download the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7030.
4) Open the downloaded VB60SP6-KB*****-x86-ENU.msi file in your compression software of choice, such as 7Zip, and extract the files "mscomctl.ocx" and "mscomct2.ocx".
NOTE: If you have an older version of the update, you may need to follow steps 4A and 4B instead:
4A) Open the downloaded VB60SP6-KB*****-x86-ENU.msi file in your compression software of choice, such as 7Zip, and extract the "product.cab" file.4B) Open the product.cab file with your compression software and extract the files "mscomctl.ocx" and "mscomct2.ocx".
6) Copy mscomctl.ocx and mscomct2.ocx to C:\Windows\System32, overwriting any other existing versions. NOTE: If you are running a 64bit OS and do not have these two files in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, check under the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder instead.
7) Return to your Command Prompt window and register both *.ocx files using the regsvr32 command. See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490985.aspx
8) Restart AECOsim Building Designer or Bentley Building Mechanical Systems.
Product TechNotes and FAQs
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley LEARN Server
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please confine any comments you have on this Wiki entry to this " Comments or Corrections?" section. THANK YOU!