1. Run 'Configuration Migration'
The first step in the manual migration process is still to run the 'Configuration Migration'wizard to create a working WorkSet Configuration File (.cfg) and corresponding DGN WorkSet file (.dgnws). Please see How to Migrate V8i Project(.pcf) to CONNECT WorkSet(.cfg).
2. Edit WorkSet.cfg and apply CONNECT configuration changes:
In the CONNECT Edition, several configuration variable have been deprecated or superseded. While there is no negative impacts for leaving these orphaned configuration in your WorkSet.cfg, you may want to reference CONNECT Edition 'Deprecated and/or Superseded' Configuration Variables for a complete list of configuration variable if you intend to completely sanitize your configuration files for the CONNECT Edition.
1. Locate your V8i Project Configuration File (.pcf), open the file in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ and copy all the contents within that file
2. Locate your new WorkSet Configuration file (.cfg), open the file in a text editor. With the exception of the line defining the _USTN_WORKSETROOT you will replace the entire contents of the WorkSet configuration file with the information copied from the V8i Project Configuration File (.pcf).
e.g. Keep the following line from within the new WorkSet Configuration file (.cfg), this will identify the location of the project. _USTN_WORKSETROOT = C:\PROGRAMDATA\BENTLEY\AECOSIMBUILDINGDESIGNER V8I SS6\WORKSPACE\projects\BuildingExamples\BuildingTemplate_US\
Find & Replace (in the following order):
Find and Replace the following values (do not match case as part of the find criteria).
**Find Project Replace with WorkSet * Requires restructuring of v8i project folder structure, to accommodate CONNECT folder structures, see "Apply CONNECT WorkSet folder changes" below. ** STRUCTURAL_SHAPES < $(_USTN_WORKSETSTANDARDS)data/ProjectShapes.xml
3. Delete Deprecated Configuration Variables - Below are excerpts from the delivered v8i Building Template Project configuration file (.pcf) that are no longer necessary.
# Project Configuration File #====================================================================== # Project Description as it will appear in Workspace menu > About Workspace _USTN_PROJECTDESCR = Building Designer US Dataset Project Template # MS_DESIGNDIR: Design Model Directory # TF_DRAWINGS: Location of Drawing Extractions (can be over-written in the Drawing Definition). TF_DRAWINGS = $(_USTN_WORKSETROOT)extractions/ # ATFDIR_CELL: Prepends or overwrites the folder locations of cell libraries ATFDIR_CELL < $(_USTN_WORKSETSTANDARDS)cell/ MS_RFDIR > $(TF_DRAWINGS) #====================================================================== # Project Explorer: #====================================================================== # BB_PROJECTEXPLORER_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY: Specifies the location of the Project Explorer Library Folder BB_PROJECTEXPLORER_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY = $(_USTN_WORKSETSTANDARDS)dgnlib/ # BB_PROJECTEXPLORER_LIBRARY_FILE: Specifies the dgnlib to be used by the Project Explorer Assistant for tracking file changes. BB_PROJECTEXPLORER_LIBRARY_FILE = $(BB_PROJECTEXPLORER_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY)MasterProject.dgnlib # MS_PROJECTEXPLORER_EXTENSIONS: Specifies the name of the extension library for Project Explorer MS_PROJECTEXPLORER_EXTENSIONS = buildingproject.dll _USTN_CAPABILITY > +CAPABILITY_DGNLINK_NONDGN_REGIONLINKS #====================================================================== # Drawing Extractions: #====================================================================== # TFBXS_SEEDDIR: Location of Template Drawing Extraction Definition Seed Files # TFBXS_SEEDDIR = $(TFDIR)seed/DEM_templates/ # TFBXS_SEEDFILE: Seed file for seed Drawing Extraction Definitions. Can be set to point to a *.bxs or *.dgn file # TFBXS_SEEDFILE = $(TFBXS_SEEDDIR)DEM_Templates_$(bb_discipline).dgn # TF_DRAWSEED: Specifies the seed file to be used when a new drawing extraction file is created. # TF_DRAWSEED = DrawingSeed_DEM.dgn # BB_ANNOTATE_IN3DDGN: Causes Create Space to place physical space label into 3D instead of space artifact. # Needed to work with the DEM. # BB_ANNOTATE_IN3DDGN = 1
# STFDIR_DATA : $(STF_DATASET)data/ # STFDIR_SETTINGS : $(STF_DATASET)setting/
3. Apply CONNECT WorkSet folder changes:
In the CONNECT Edition, the folder structure and configuration variables were extended to accommodate user-definable standards at multiple levels throughout the Workspace/WorkSet organized into a shared standard folder. In order to align with these folders and CONNECT configuration variables, it is necessary to redefine and restructure the Project "support" folder delivered in V8i. This consist of the following folder structure changes:
1. Rename the old "support" folder to "Standards" 2. Move the contents in the "dataset" subdirectory into the "Standards" folder and delete the now empty "dataset" subdirectory. 3. Move the "Energydata" subdirectory into the "Standards" folder 4. CONNECT Edition also add two new subdirectories to Standards, not previously available in V8i, ...\Standards\Macro and ...\Standards\Symb 5. Move the "out" subdirectory to the root of the Workset and rename to "Output" ( <WorkSetname>\Output) 6. Move the "results" folder, used by Energy Services, and reside under "Output" 7. The "extractions" folder was discontinued, with the deprecation of the Drawing Extraction Manager in the CONNECT Edition 8. CONNECT Edition also applied Camel Case folder naming
4. Associate an active WorkSet to multiple files using 'Batch Process':
In the CONNECT Edition, all DGNs should be associated with (or belong to) a WorkSet. DGN files belonging to a WorkSet include WorkSet information or WorkSet properties. This enables you to place WorkSet properties as text fields and title blocks. This also notifies the users if they try to open a DGN from outside of the active WorkSet, helping the users maintain the data integrity of their DGNs. When you open a DGN file in a WorkSet, the CONNECT Edition checks if the file belongs to the active WorkSet, considering you just upgrade your v8i project to a CONNECT WorkSet, all you DGNs still remain unassociated and you will receive alerts to associate your file with the active WorkSet. In order to reduce the overhead of manually associating each file with the Active WorkSet, You can use "Batch Process" to automate the association.
You can associate an active WorkSet to multiple files using 'Batch Process' :
1. Launch CONNECT Edition application 2. Select Workspace>WorkSet - In the Welcome page, select the desired Workspace and WorkSet and open a file within that WorkSet. 3. Acknowledge Alert - You should receive the following alert ( the this case the active WorkSet was "Building"). Since this should be the first time you are opening the file in the CONNECT Edition, the file your opening should be unassociated. With the default option to "Use active WorkSet…", select 'Open'
4. Locate and Open the 'Batch Process' - To easily locate the 'Batch Process' feature you can take advantage of the Ribbon Bar search option, by simply starting to type 'Batch Process' in search box in the upper right side of the Ribbon Bar (see below) or it can be accessed from the backstage under File>Tools.
5. Browse for Command File -In the 'Batch Process' dialog, browse for the Associate_Workset_cmdfile.txt command file. By default, this command file should be delivered at …\Program Files\Bentley\AECOsim CONNECT Edition\AECOsimBuildingDesigner\Default\Data\.
This file contains two keyins:
○ FILE ASSOCIATEWORKSET # Associate files to active WorkSet ○ FILEDESIGN SAVE SETTINGS # Save Setting
6. Select File to Batch Process - Select the files that you want to assign to the active WorkSet. Remember that CONNECT Edition checks for associated WorkSet during the following activities:
○ attaching references ○ attaching links to a link set ○ adding sheets to a sheet index ○ placing text fields pointing to WorkSet properties
7. Run the batch process.
* Note: Disassociation of a DGN from a WorkSet is also available. To unassociate a WorkSet from a file, use the key-in FILE DISASSOCIATEWORKSET. Do not do a save settings, else the WorkSet will again be assigned to the active file.
Currently, the differences between the AECOsim Building Designer SELECTseries 6, Update 1 and the CONNECT Edition datasets are minor. Therefore, there is most SELECTseries 6, Update1 should easily be reutilized and moved forward for CONNECT adoption. Dataset should remain major version specific, please do not share a SELECTseries 6, Update1 dataset with both the SELECTseries 6 and CONNECT Edition application. Make version specific copies.