Is there a way to merge / join two adjacent polygons in Plaxis 2D (plaxis scripting)?

Hello, I'm using plaxis scripting for this, but regardless, I'm searching for a way of joining or merging two adjacent polygons in Plaxis 2D. Is there such an option/function/command?

Parents
  • Dear Nicola,

In PLAXIS 2D drawing polygons is quite easy, which is why the "combine" functionality is not implemented (as in PLAXIS 3D).

There are two options:

1. redraw the polygon from scratch using the coordinates you want
    2. use the polygon's .Points list to collect the coordinates of the two polygons and create a new one with the edge points and delete the old ones

In any case, I can add your request in our feedback for the future versions of PLAXIS 2D.

• The problem is that the polygons of interest are generated by cutting other polygons, so it can happen that a small polygon is cut within another, which is problematic for the mesh. Because of the way the polygons are generated in this case makes it hard for me to easily know all the points needed to redraw it.

I found that the problem with gathering the polygons' points and creating a new one is the identification of the points which must not be included in the new polygon, and discarding them. I have tried using the snap function with larger tolerances, which worked sometimes, but I did not manage to make it consistently do the right thing.

That is why I think a "join" feature would help greatly. Thanks for the answer!

• The problem is that the polygons of interest are generated by cutting other polygons, so it can happen that a small polygon is cut within another, which is problematic for the mesh. Because of the way the polygons are generated in this case makes it hard for me to easily know all the points needed to redraw it.

I found that the problem with gathering the polygons' points and creating a new one is the identification of the points which must not be included in the new polygon, and discarding them. I have tried using the snap function with larger tolerances, which worked sometimes, but I did not manage to make it consistently do the right thing.

That is why I think a "join" feature would help greatly. Thanks for the answer!

Children
No Data