PLAXIS 2D Westergaard Hydrodynamic Pressure on Submerged Surface Modelling

I want to add a hydrodynamic pressure using the Westergaard added mass interface for a flat surface that is submerged completely underwater (does not extend to the water free surface). I've consulted the documentation on the method here: Westergaard's added mass for hydrodynamic pressures: a simple case - GeoStudio | PLAXIS Wiki - GeoStudio | PLAXIS - Bentley Communities, but the example does not give insight on how the element actually works and the example is for a surface that extends to the water free surface.

For my case, can I simply have the interface extend to the top of my surface I want to apply the hydrodynamic force to (below the water free surface) and the program will calculate the pressures appropriately? Or will I have to apply a hack which extends the interface all the way to the water surface and have an opposite reacting force above my surface?

Parents
  • For others, I've implemented the force as an interface all the way to the water free surface and placed an opposing hydrodynamic force at the section of the interface above the wall (Input for bottom of Westergaard force is the top of the wall in the opposite direction). Results seem to show that everything checks out with respect to the top of the wall. Any additional viewpoints on this matter are welcome, please do let me know.

• For others, I've implemented the force as an interface all the way to the water free surface and placed an opposing hydrodynamic force at the section of the interface above the wall (Input for bottom of Westergaard force is the top of the wall in the opposite direction). Results seem to show that everything checks out with respect to the top of the wall. Any additional viewpoints on this matter are welcome, please do let me know.

Children
No Data