How do I copy and paste color coding or annotations from one element to another in the element symbology OR from one model to another?
Can I bulk copy and paste color coding from one model to another?
In previous version of the software there was no way to transfer color coding or annotation from one model to another, but there was a workaround for copying and pasting element symbology from one element to another. That method involved editing the current color coding, selecting all the rows in the color scheme table, using the control + C function to copy it all the rows, creating the new color coding on the other element, and finally pasting the color scheme into the table. This was not an ideal situation for users who needed to reuse these settings, so a better method was developed.
1. Right click on the color coding or annotation that you want to copy and choose the copy option
2. Locate the element you want to paste the color coding or annotation to and right click on the name or it then choose 'Paste'. This will paste that color coding or annotation to that element even if the field doesn't exist for it. If the field doesn't exist you should be prompted with a notification window. All you need to do when this pops up is hit 'OK' to accept it and then you can go into the color coding and edit it to add the appropriate field.
**Note - Color coding and annotations can now also be pasted from one project to another.
1) Create all your color coding or annotations using the method found in this wiki
2) Next click the ellipsis button next to the drop down menu located just below the top of the element symbology manager (see screen shot below). This will open the Symbology definitions manager where you can create new symbology definitions to import/export from one project to another and use in the current project to display different color coding/annotations arrangements.
3) The symbology definitions manager will open and allow you to create a new symbology definition based on the current color coding and annotations defined in the element symbology manager. Once created the definitions can be imported, exported, duplicated, renamed, or deleted using the icons at the top of the window. The icons can be seen in the screen shot below. In order from left to right they are New, Import, Export, Delete, Duplicate, Rename, Help. After a definition is created you can set it as the current definition to use in your element symbology manager drop down. See the drop down box in the screen shot above next to the red box.
4) After you create one of these if you then highlight it's name and export the definition you can then open this same dialog in a new project and import that definition, which saves you the time of duplicating all color coding and annotations for each project.
Please see the steps in action in the video below. Also, note that you can copy and paste annotation or color from one element class to another as long as that property is supported by the other element.
1) Right click on the element in the element symbology that you want to copy and paste color coding for and choose to create a new folder
2) Put all existing or new the color coding and/or annotations in the folder that you want to copy and paste to a new model.
3) Right click on the folder choose to copy it