You are currently reviewing an older revision of this page.
WaterCAD and WaterGEMS V8 XM and V8i have the ability to model multiple minor losses in a single pipe. This technote explains how to do it.
WaterCAD/GEMS won't calculate the losses automatically if you place pipe bends, etc. You must account for these losses by using minor loss coefficients. In some modeling cases, it might be necessary to represent multiple minor losses in a particular pipe. For example, if there are multiple bends throughout the pipe, plus a gate valve.
1) You will need to have a spread sheet with 3 columns: a) Label b) Minor Loss Label c) Quantity
This is a sample of what your worksheet might look like Minor Losses worksheet for Modelbuilder
Note: The minor loss label will be the exact label name that you have listed in the minor loss coefficients manager
2) Create a selection set of pipes that you are going to be adding a collection of minor losses for.
3) Open your flextable based on that selection set . Edit the flextable and add the column titled "Specify Minor Loss Coefficient?" then set it to "False", which is a blank checkbox.
4) Open ModelBuilder (Tools > Modelbuilder) and start a new run.
5) In step one choose the appropriate Excel datasource, which will likely be "Excel 2013 / 2010 / 2007 (12.0)" and click the Next button twice
6) On step 3 make sure your options are set up as shown below and click the Next button twice
7) Set the Table Type to "Pipe, Minor Losses" (blue box) and the Key Field to "Label" (red box). In the field mapping steps below (green box) match the Minor Loss field to the "Minor Loss Coefficients (Label)" and the Quantity field to the "Quantity". Click Next when done.
8) When asked in the last Modelbuilder step if you'd like to build a model choose "Yes" your information will be imported. Double check to make sure the information is correct on a few pipes.
Product TechNotes and FAQs
Haestad Methods Product Tech Notes And FAQs
General WaterGEMS V8 FAQ
Water and Wastewater Forums
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley LEARN Server