Warning: Making these changes can cause serious, system-wide problems within your environment. Do not make these changes unless you are confident with these steps and understand the impact to your system and other applications running on it.
Keep in mind that Vista, Windows 7 and Server 2008 incorporate the User Access Control (UAC)
UAC enables users to perform common tasks as non-administrators, and as administrators without having to switch users, log off, or use Run As. Unlike previous versions of Windows, when an administrator logs on to a computer running with a UAC, the user’s full administrator access token is split into two access tokens: a full administrator access token and a standard user access token. When logging in full administrative status is not generated. View the link below for further details on this action.
A pitfall of this action is that user information is kept under the specific user’s login section and tracked in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT _USER. When installing the Gateway (or any Bentley application for that matter) be sure to right click on the executable and use the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR option. This will direct the registry information to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section in the registry.
Now go to the install of the SELECTserver gateway x.\program files\bentley\selectserver and view the PROPERTIES of the LIcensetool.exe. Choose the COMPATIBILITY tab, find the Privilege Level section and check the Run this program as an administrator dialog box. This will ensure that upon any restart the status of the Gateway will be tracked in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section in the registry.
USER ACCESS CONTROL STEP-BY- STEP
1) Download the proper version of the Gateway application (32 or 64) bit and save in a temp directory
2) Run the executable and allow it to expand into the C:\Bentley Downloads directory.
3) Open the expand folder and RIGHT CLICK on the setup.exe and use the “RUN AS ADMINSTATOR” option. Follow the prompts for installation
4) Once installed open the x.\program files\bentley\selectserver directory and locate the LIcensetool.exe.
5) Go to PROPERETIES > COMPATIBILITY and ensure the Privilege Level section checkbox is activated and set to “Run as the Administrator”.
6) Start the Bentley SELECTserver Service from the SERVICE dialog box of the operating systems.