I have shapes made of multiple line and arc segments. I need to eliminate all arcs from these shapes, converting them to line segments.
The Facet Curve tool is inadequate. There doesn't seem to be a way to have the degree of curvature be the factor which sets the line segment length. For example, say I have 50 arcs, all with a radius of 100 ft, which vary in length from 10 ft long to 500 ft long. It is inefficient treat these 50 variable length arcs one at a time using the Facet Curve tool and manually selecting the number of segments every time. If you try to do them all at once, at maybe a number of 100, your 500 ft long arcs would work out well resulting in 5 ft long line segments, but your 10 ft long arcs would be ridiculous with a new line every 0.1 ft.
I thought maybe there was an answer in dropping the linestyle, but in order to do that the line would have to have breaks instead of being continuous. I tried converting to a dashed line, then dropping the linestyle. But when I tried to reconnect all the line segments, I could not find an efficient way to do that either.
Please assist. Thanks.
I would do the following:
1. Drop Elements Linestring/Shapes to lines and arcs,
2. Create Complex Chain , now you have one element _Complex Chain/Line
3. change element to Convert to B-spline Curve , now you have B-spline Curve,
4.Measure Distance / along element / we need this info for decision what is important how we will divide element by distance or number of parts
4. Facet Curve / we can use only for B-spline Curve / and now we decide / for example method fixed chord lenght Facet to Linestring Chord lenght: 1.0m , let Keep original to try another method if you not satisfy with it
5. Done , have a nice day :-)
This is great!
FYI to others, these tools are found on main tabs (file, edit, etc.). Go to Tools>Curves>Curve Utilities
Lastly, review your new length, and adjust accordingly. Either end point segment may be shorter.