This is an informational post regarding bug initially found in OpenBridge Modeler release 10.08.2.45. The reason it's being put in the MicroStation forum is that the bug is seemingly an issue with the underlying MicroStation Platform (PowerPlatform 14). The recent findings were initially added to a conversation about a previous bug relating to this issue, so make sure you check out the linked conversation below.
This post is intended to better track the new issue as it is now separate from the previous issue (initially mentioned in the post below as well)
The issue is as follows:
In OpenBridge Modeler (and potentially MicroStation and OpenRoads Designer) when placing a parametric Cell, it will not take on the active level attributes other than the name. it will come in on a line style 0 and color 0. Even placing it, selecting the element, and manually trying to modify the level, line style or color won't change it. Graphic and point cells function properly, but parametric cells do not. I tried changing the attributes in the cell library and seeing if it comes over into the new dgn file with those attributes but it reverts back to linestyle and color 0.
As i understand it you want to change the line style/weight/color of a parametric cell which is actually impossible currently. It only recently became and option to move them to an alternative level. The following idea was created to address this issue and so far we've gotten the option to put it on a new level.
The strange thing is, at least how I remember, everything worked fine in the 10.07 releases of OBM (I don't know off the top of my head which version of MicroStation it used as its base platform). in the first release of 10.08 things started acting strange, where it would take on level attributes, but if the level had a custom line style associated with it, you couldn't select the cell once placed. in the newest version (10.08.2.45), you can now select it after placing, but it just doesn't take on any level attributes other than the name. It's like one thing gets fixed at the expense of another.
Regardless, I did try the method shown above, and yes it works, but completely defeats the purpose of parametric cells, so it's not something I want my users to do, and not necessarily something I want Bentley to consider as a "fix" for the issue. Hopefully this can get fixed fairly quickly
on a side note, it is nice to know that I am not the only one having these issues, or that is even concerned about this.
The most we can hope for is awareness and more +1's on ideas help define what gets priority on development. Level overrides still work if you isolate your unique elements that way.
My office doesn't use attributes by level for anything nor do we have a standard level structure so it's a pretty big bur in our behind given the tools we had made with Feature cells in v8i which are still impossible, clumsy, slow and flaky at best to remake in CE.
I have faith if the community continues to focus on adding/+1 ideas and pointing out whats missing from v8i in terms of raw efficiency It'll get there one day, I just hope it's before to many users bail for another platform.
I have noticed similar behaviour in OpenPlant Modeler Upate 7. One thing that could be of interest: It seems to work better if all the parts of the parametric cell are on the default level in the cell library. And working with the "change attributes" tool (the one thats looking like a color palette) helps sometimes to get everything looking like the styles set in the level.
But I have not tried it with custom linestyles yet. Only with the built in ones.But even here sometimes I get a strange behaviour, that only some parts of the parametric cell take on the attributes and not all of them. I have not figured out what is causing these issues.
OpenPlant Modeler - Version: 10.08.00.51
[MicroStation - Version: 10.14.02.01]
Some of that odd behavior could be related to how the part is made. Profiles and root geometry used to make a parametric solid & cell will often times control the outcome of the final product. This can make it a challenge to change things as it means digging down the properties menu of each element to find the offending part and fix it. It can "feel" random but it's only specific tools that have this issue like extrusion along path for example. To add to the fun not "all" attributes are equal in this regard some change some do not.