This is an informational post regarding bug initially found in OpenBridge Modeler release 10.08.2.45. The reason it's being put in the MicroStation forum is that the bug is seemingly an issue with the underlying MicroStation Platform (PowerPlatform 14). The recent findings were initially added to a conversation about a previous bug relating to this issue, so make sure you check out the linked conversation below.
This post is intended to better track the new issue as it is now separate from the previous issue (initially mentioned in the post below as well)
The issue is as follows:
In OpenBridge Modeler (and potentially MicroStation and OpenRoads Designer) when placing a parametric Cell, it will not take on the active level attributes other than the name. it will come in on a line style 0 and color 0. Even placing it, selecting the element, and manually trying to modify the level, line style or color won't change it. Graphic and point cells function properly, but parametric cells do not. I tried changing the attributes in the cell library and seeing if it comes over into the new dgn file with those attributes but it reverts back to linestyle and color 0.
I have noticed similar behaviour in OpenPlant Modeler Upate 7. One thing that could be of interest: It seems to work better if all the parts of the parametric cell are on the default level in the cell library. And working with the "change attributes" tool (the one thats looking like a color palette) helps sometimes to get everything looking like the styles set in the level.
But I have not tried it with custom linestyles yet. Only with the built in ones.But even here sometimes I get a strange behaviour, that only some parts of the parametric cell take on the attributes and not all of them. I have not figured out what is causing these issues.
OpenPlant Modeler - Version: 10.08.00.51
[MicroStation - Version: 10.14.02.01]
Some of that odd behavior could be related to how the part is made. Profiles and root geometry used to make a parametric solid & cell will often times control the outcome of the final product. This can make it a challenge to change things as it means digging down the properties menu of each element to find the offending part and fix it. It can "feel" random but it's only specific tools that have this issue like extrusion along path for example. To add to the fun not "all" attributes are equal in this regard some change some do not.
To verify this, I created a simple cell that was just a rectangle on a default level. I assigned it to a parametric type but didn't include any real parameters or anything. essentially just a graphic rectangle cell assigned as a parametric, and it still failed this test. I went back into the cell model and changed attributes to another level, color, and line style. I then went into my dgn, re-attached the cell library and it still came in with default (linestyle and color 0) attributes. On a side note, I demonstrated this to my agency's development group and they put in a ticket to Bentley. It seems Bentley is tracking the issue at the very least.