I tried to search whether this bug was reported in the past. Maybe it's the same as issue discussed here (plus I found a few more similar discussions), but because it's more than a year old discussion and the bug still exists, I wrote this post.
The problem was discovered by by customer, but original data cannot be shared, so I created very simple test case to illustrate the bug. Unfortunately, it's critical issue, blocking migration to CE (they use MicroStation and ORD). I informed my other customers working with similar data (literally, all civil customers) about this threat, because data are displayed differently.
There is 2D model, referencing another 2D DGN and DWG (3D, but with 2D elements at Z=0 in tested case). In the root model, there is a raster attached (tested with WMS, but raster file attached from disk has the same problem). Because the raster is at background plane, in V8i is correctly displayed behind all elements. But in CE U15, it hides elements from DWG:
I guess the problem itself is clear: Even when the raster has to be always at background, it's not. And because the results are different in CE U15, it's very dangerous (and migration blocking) bug, because some geometry can be hidden without any notification. And there is no chance, when typical civil design consists from tens of DGN and DWG files, to check every file whether everything is correct or not.
Quite accidentally I found a dependency: When references Update sequence dialog is used and root model is changed to be first, hidden elements are displayed. But it cannot be used as a workaround in many situations, because such change would break something else.
I will create also Service Ticket for this issue.
The test case is attached (used WMS is public). Can somebody from Bentley confirm the issue, whether it's defect #1064558 or a new one, and if its fix is planned for U16?
Based on a call about this issue I realized the test case was not described well enough. I also did not check the issue when 3D DGN model is attached.
Because of that, I reworked test case to 3 separate cases:
Labyrinth Technology | dev.notes() | cad.point
Hi Jan,Please be advised that new Defect # 1120900 has been filed with our development team to resolve the issue you have outlined in this post. Resolution is targeted for MicroStation CONNECT Edition Update 16.Please let us know if you have any further questions.-Jayson
Answer Verified By: Jan Šlegr
thanks a lot for your update and Defect number. I am looking forward to Update 16 :-)
Well that's one bug (of many) that might get resolved. I have had to manipulate ref update sequence for no good reason, occasionally.
Thanks Jan, for taking the time to get thru to the software kids.
Connect r15 10.15.02.11 self-employed
The Update Sequence is incorrect if you want the references to display on top of the raster. The Update Sequence of the references will display the last one in the list on top of the previous files.
Think of it this way; the one listed first is the first one processed and displayed. The second one listed is then processed next and will be displayed on top of the first one processed. (newest on top) MicroStation continues down the list displaying each file on top of the files further up the list.
So the first thing you want to do is move the Active Design File to the top of the list in the Update Sequence dialog box. This will take care of the DWG file displaying on top of the active file (raster image).
Something that may be effecting the display order is the “Plane” setting in the Raster Manager dialog box. With your drawings, this setting was available to me sometimes and not other times. It should only be available for raster references and not embedded rasters. I am not sure why I got it sometimes but it does seem to effect the display order of DGN references and rasters. It allows you to display rasters as a background. This may be why the referenced DGN was displayed on top of the raster image and not use the Update Sequence. It did not affect the display order of the DWG reference. If anything, this needs to be looked into be Bentley.
Since the Update Sequence was wrong in your drawings, and should have the active file listed first, this may be Working As Designed. I do not have V8i installed to compare the two versions but V8i Did not have the “Plane” setting in Raster Manager and could be causing the difference.
@Jayson; you may want to research this issue further.