I just discovered, we have a few linestyles that have names that end with a space character. During a LC= Key in, MicroStation will try to locate a best match and if there is any ambiguity, open a list dialog box, and if there is not, activate the matched linestyle.
However, in the Element Templates dialog box, you cannot actually key in a linestyle name. What I have learned, is that some line styles in some element templates are missing the space. I'm not sure how this occurred, but the end result is if the stored line style name does not match exactly, the element template will not set that linestyle. It will set everything else defined in the element template, however.
We have hundreds, if not thousands of files in ProjectWise expecting one of our to specific workspaces to correctly display its contents. So I cannot implement a simple fix without knowing the repercussions of any fix that involves existing files.
My choices seems to be one of the following:
does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on our dilemma?
Oh how I wish the V8 Level naming committee, all those years ago, would have listened to the handful of us who advocated for ByLevel Symbologies!
Well, the time came to implement something and I discovered that with or without a space in the Element Template, when read from the DGNLIB, the Element Template fails. So #2 was out.
So I tried creating the duplicate names approach (#3) where I have both names in two separate RSC files - one with no trailing space and one with. The Element Templates now work, but the line styles with the trailing spaces plot as solid lines in the CAD files. The Line Style dialog box displays them properly and reports their source RSC file correctly, but apparently that confuses the software when it comes time to display them.
At this point, it looks like I will have to fix it in the CONNECT Workspace and find ways to make something work in V8i with everything as is.
Charles (Chuck) Rheault CADD Manager
MDOT State Highway Administration
I did not read through this entire thread, but I see you have an issue with line styles printing solid. Did you check to ensure none of the line styles were copied into the active .dgn file? If they get copied into the active .dgn file the line styles will not print properly. The only way to get rid of those definitions in the file is to select any elements using the line style and assigning a different line style. Then use "delete unused linestyles" key-in to remove those definitions. Now you can reassign the proper line style to the elements.
Not sure what would happen if you had other files with line styles copied in and you referenced that file to your current file. It could have a negative affect if your Element Template files have line style definitions copied in.
Not sure if that will help you troubleshoot, but it may be worth investigating.
Power InRoads v8i 08.11.09.615
Microstation CONNECT 10.15.0.74
Microstation v8i SS 10 08.11.09.919
ORD CONNECT 10.9.0.1
ORD CONNECT 2021 R1 10.10.1.3
So I was definitely not using internal linestyles, but I discovered that if I have a DGNLIB containing the linestyles with the names using trailing spaces and the RSC file without, I can use either and it just works.
I assumed you were not using internal styles, but when I first starting working in CONNECT it seemed as though the line style definitions were being automatically copied to my file, which I understand is normal (like levels), but they were overriding the styles from the .rsc and not displaying or printing properly. It took a little while to figure out I have to change the elements to another line style to purge the offending ones.