Using CONNECT Edition Update 16 ver. 10.16.00.80
Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.18363 build 18363
Microsoft Excel for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14131.20278) 64-bit
By using ITEM TYPES, I have been able to utilize an Excel file as a lookup table to populate text fields. This has been working great in CE updates 12, 13, 14 and 15.
I had posted this method here:
I updated to CONNECT Edition Update 16 and now the Excel file is not being read.
The Excel we have been using has some macros in it, so it is a “.xlsm” file not a “.xlsx” file.
The picklist is loaded by a dgnlib. The picklist appears to work with no issues.
The item type variable is listed here:
ITEMTYPE_LOOKUP = $(_USTN_WORKSETDGNS)Shared/Support/TextSubstitution_CE.xlsm
SO… I switched to using an Excel file without the embedded macros, making it a “.xlsx” file.
Then I changed my variable to use a xlsx extension,
ITEMTYPE_LOOKUP = $(_USTN_WORKSETDGNS)Shared/Support/TextSubstitution_CE.xlsx
Now everything works OK!
So, using the same dgn file, and the same ITEMTYPE attached to my elements, the only difference that broke this process in CE 16 was “xlsm” vs “xlsx”.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this issue would occur with the xlsm file?
Here are snapshots of the actual ITEMTYPE definitions, picklists, and Excel file:
I apologize for the long post.
Karl, are you verifying that the XLSM file worked for you in MSCE U14? I could have sworn I had tested it and the same problem was happening then. I never received word that they fixed this yet:
I acquire the picklist through a dgnlib. But the picklist is used against the Excel file for selecting the row/column info. In our case we were able to successfully use a xslm file in CE U14. I should note that CE U15 had a slight hiccup. At first it appeared to not work in CE 15. But I removed all Bentley products and re-installed them. MicroStation CONNECT Edition Update 15 still didn't work until I loaded OpenRoads Designer 10.09.00.91 after the CE 15 install, then it seemed like that ORD install fixed something because Basic CE 15 worked after ORD was installed. Bottom line is... the xlsm files seem to cause an issue now.