since we upgraded to the Connect Edition (CE) the behaviour of 3D-PDFs changed.
Here are the problems we encounter:
Difference in file size for the same model:
Opening time for 3D-PDFs created with CE:
Here is a picture of the "unfinished render":
The interesting thing is: If we create the 3D-PDFs of the exact same model with V8i, they are smaller in file size, they open much faster (in just a few seconds) and we do not see the “unfinished render”.
Interesting Fact: Sometimes the Acrobat Reader changes to “not responding” for a short time, but that is not always the case.
Sometimes the Acrobat Reader even says: “This file cannot be shown with the Acrobat Reader. The program will close now.” (It is not the exact message, I translated it, because I am running a machine which is set to german.)
The "look" of the 3D-PDFs:
Another thing that I am irritated about is the “look” of the 3D-PDF. The one created with the V8i looks a bit more “shiny” and the one created with CE looks a bit “dull”. We use the same setup for printing the 3D-PDF in V8i and CE. Does anybody have an idea what could cause these differences?
I added two screenshots that show the different looks of the 3D-PDFs. (We imported the print settings from V8i to CE, so they should be the same for both versions).
(As an example file we just put together some random pipelineworks.)
3D-PDF created with CE (looks a bit dull and not as "shiny" as the one created with V8i).
3D-PDF created with V8i (looks a bit more "shiny" than the one created with CE).
The example files are just a bunch of pipelines thrown together randomly, as we can not show you real projects.
To see the effects described above it is important that the files have a certain amount of equipment in them, otherwise the difference in loading times is to short to see. That is why the files are relatively big and we had to upload the to the WeTransfer Page.
Here you can find two 3D-PDFs and the DGN file they where both created from, one time using Connect Edition, the other one using V8i.
Anyone had any success in this matter?We have SR (#7000835779) regarding this issue, but we haven't seen any progress for the past two years..
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I was on holiday. Unfortunately we did not have success yet.
Our SR 7000972269 was closed, because I did not reply fast enough. The last thing the support asked me to do, was the following, but I could not import the U3D, because I do not have Acrobat Pro in the office.
Excerpt of the email from Bentley Support:
There is certainly a lot of change in Printing in MS CONNECT as compared to V8i.
The former is based more on Windows Printing but can’t pin point the exact changes.
Let me tell you that the slowness of 3D pdf is a known issue and there may be an
associated defect to this issue. Will tell you the defect number if that is the case.
Meanwhile please do me a favor by doing below mentioned :
Please do the needful and keep me updated on the issue.
I responded to this email a few minutes ago, perhaps the SR, will be reopened. We will see.
Plant Design Engineer
MicroStation - Version: 10.11.0.36
OpenPlant Modeler - Version: 10.04.00.30
Hi! No worries about the late answer Yes, there are workaround, U3D to adobe pro, but isn't a good option.We use v8i for 3D-pdf.If you open a 3D-pdf (created in CE) in adobe pro you can see there are many layers (>10) of the same 3D-view on top of eachother, in the file. But as in v8i-pdf, there are only one 3D-view.That's why it load so slowly. I just can't understand what take so long to fix it!I keep you updated if I come across any news on the topic.
Thank you for the info with the same layers on top of each other. That is an interesting thing to know.Really strange why this is happening and why it takes so long to fix.