Being new to ORD (coming from SS10), when printing does ORD handle rendering raster images differently than Powergeopak SS10, or any other previous V8i version? I have a sheet model with a double plan view, each plan view has a reference file attached which has 6 aerial tiles attached to it via raster manager. Each tile is a .jp2 file of about 20 Mb in size. When printing to pdf, I set the brightness to 60 and the quality to 25%. This creates a pdf of about 3 Mb in size after several minutes.
When I open the pdf in Adobe, it looks like the aerials have been rendered in several smaller tiles. When I print the file, it takes about 10 minutes to print. If I create the exact same sheet model in SS10, print as a pdf with the same settings, the created PDF is about 1 Mb in size and prints very quickly when sent to a printer. I have also tried printing rasterized and non-rasterized, and it makes no difference. We have printed PDFs this way for years with no speed or size problems.
Is there a setting somewhere in ORD that I am missing which needs to be changed or adjusted?
Are you using the same pltcfg in ORD that you used in SS10? If not it's probably worth comparing the settings between the SS10 and ORD pltcfg files.I'm still relatively new to ORD\CONNECT but haven't had any problems plotting aerial images.Tom F.
I've tried plotting with the same pltcfg file we use in SS10, but I've also tried the pltcfg files supplied with ORD. No difference. I have narrowed it down to plotting a sheet model with an aerial image attached. If I plot the sheet with the image off, the sheet plots as it should. Turn the image on and the plot takes several minutes, then the pdf itself takes 10 minutes to print. I can create the same sheet in a design model and plot it from there with no problems. Thanks for the info.
Two things you can try:
1. When plotting from ORD, what happens if you turn on the rasterized option? Does the plot produce quicker for you?
2. Try plotting with the latest version of MS Connect (15.2). Does plotting happen quicker now with the rasterized option off?
I had been complaining to Bentley for over a year about performance of plotting raster data and granted, the data I was dealing with directly was WMS data, but based on the responses I was getting from the development group, the speed issue could have been a thing for any/all raster types. There was a fix for this defect in MSCE 15.2. If this fixes your plotting issue, then this fix will not show up for ORD until the upcoming release (ORD 2021 R1).
Thanks for the info, Sean.
I've tried both rasterized and non-rasterized and it didn't make any difference. We are using ORD, not plain Microstation Connect, so I can't try the latest version of that. It's not a huge issue right now, since we are just beginning to use ORD and the use of background rasters is not required on the jobs we are using ORD on. I also can't upgrade until the State DOT does, since we have to work with the same version. I appreciate your help and suggestions.
open your printer.pltcfg that your using to make the pdfs what compression is it set to in the driver properties for rasters "zipped or jpeg" . try changing to either trail and error also , are your raster settings set too high my default is 30 % quality if your raster resolution is very high you have to change this setting down .
also where are you sending the pdfs to ... I found its fastest to send them to c:\temp\pdfs and later move them via windows explorer to where they are needed .. printing to servers is notoriously slow even our acad cousins do it that way for speed...
Currently Using V8iss10 (8.11.09.919)
and dabbling in CE update 16 (10.16.00.80)
Pwise Administrator ( yeah I passed the training course!)
MicroStation user since 1990 Melbourne Australia.click link to PM me
Hi Lorys. Our pdf pltcfg is set for jpeg compression, and my raster quality is set to 25%, grayscale. We usually send to a pdf folder under the appropriate project on the file server, although I did save a few to my desktop, but that made no difference in the time or size. This method works fine with SS10, but has only become a problem in ORD. I'll keep hacking away and try to figure out what is going on.
File a Service Ticket with Support and send them your files (or a representative sample of your files). If you can write out your specific workflow for them to follow, that's even better.
This may be a corruption in your file, or a bug in the software, either way, submitting a Support Ticket gets it in front of the official eyes to find a solution.
Microstation 08.11.09.919Power GeoPak 08.11.09.918Power InRoads 08.11.09.918
After getting some other work done, I was able to get back to this problem. I'm glad you mentioned file corruption. Before submitting a ticket, I decided to look at all the files. Turns out the problem has nothing to do with the raster file attachments. I had a 2D topo file which had a field book and a terrain in it. It had no 3D model, just the default 2D. Something in that file is corrupt, or has a problem. I created a new 2D topo file, referenced the original file and copied over just the linework and cells, no civil data. After recutting sheets, the plotting is working just the way it should.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just getting my feet wet in ORD.
I'm glad to hear you were able to get things working.
Yeah, that's strange, and I can see how that kind of file corruption could cause all sorts of strangeness.