I have some problems .
The file size is only about 800 MB - i put some xfrog trees etc.. I have NVME disks and Nvidia 1080 GTX
It's horrible to change tree, move tree or change materials. Even rotate and refresh the window need few seconds. Any suggestion ?
You should have used shared cells for all the trees and plants these are what is taking so long to load and display. I would delete all of them compress the file and place shared cells using our Populate tool. The Xfrog trees from European 3 are all to heavy unless the whole point of the render is to see a tree. If you use the ones from European 1 or 2 they are much smaller. In any case using shared cells for these will make your file load and display faster and also they will be replicators in Luxology and render faster as well.
I had David Stradley who works on our display engine have a look and here is what he found. I am not sure where the cells that are on the last two levels in list below came from but they are the slowest.
Hope this helps,
thanks a lot for taking care of the analysis!
It's funny how things and best practices has changed: In the past, it was recommended to do not use shared cells for rendering, because plenty of issues (memory consumption, performance, robustness) existed when there were plenty of shared cells in model. Now the shared cells, accordingly to your information, are the way for better performance. Still learning something new ;-)
Seeing the numbers, I am thinking about:
Bentley Accredited Developer: iTwin Platform - AssociateLabyrinth Technology | dev.notes() | cad.point
I believe that we made many improvements in shared cells back in V8i when we added Luxology render engine to take advantage of replicators.
No plans at moment for moving to DirectX 12 for MicroStation but DirectX 12 will be supported with LumenRT in future along with DXR and real time ray tracing. Game engines all rely on optimization and large data sets that MicroStation can handle would not be handled better by a game engine. LumenRT can handle very large data sets better than Unreal and others.
For displaying MicroStation scenes with game like performance LumenRT is the way to go. In MicroStation we don't do any tricks we display everything, the exception would be scalable meshes which are dependent on how close the camera is to the mesh.