The Message Center displays an error when attempting to modify a mesh element.For Example: Using the Mesh Project tool results in the error “Mesh Project Operation Failed”.
The mesh contains inconsistencies and needs to be repaired.
1. Drop mesh to lines with the Drop Element tool. • Go to: Tools > Manipulate > Drop > Drop Element or Key-in: DROP ELEMENT • Tool Settings: Check 'Line Strings/Shapes' • Do this twice. First time drops mesh to shapes, and second time drops shapes to lines.
2. Delete Duplicate elements with the Data Cleanup utility. • Go to: Utilities > Data Cleanup or Key-in: MDL SILENTLOAD CLEANUP
3. Reconstruct the mesh with the Mesh from Points tool. • Go to: Tools > Mesh > Create Meshes > Mesh from Points or Key-in: FACET TRIANGULATE XYPOINTS
4. Identify voids, overlapping facets and inconsistent normals in the mesh element with the Mesh Audit tool. • Go to: Tools > Mesh > Mesh Utilities > Mesh Audit or Key-in: FACET MESHAUDIT
a. Close voids in the mesh element with the Close Mesh Voids tool. • Go to: Tools > Mesh > Mesh Utilities > Close Mesh Voids or Key-in: FACET MODIFY HEALHOLES
b. Remove the problem facet(s) with the Delete Mesh Facet tool. • Go to: Tools > Mesh > Modify Meshes > Delete Mesh Facet or Key-in: FACET MODIFY DELETEFACET
c. Unify mesh normals with Change Mesh Normal tool. • Go to: Tools > Mesh > Modify Meshes > Change Mesh Normal or Key-in: FACET MODIFY REVERSE • Tool Settings: Set mode to 'Unify Normals'
5. Use Mesh Audit tool again to verify there are no remaining voids, problem facets or inconsistent normals.
a. Fill in any remaining voids manually with the Place Shape tool. • Go to: Tools > Base Geometry > Polygons > Place Shape or Key-in: PLACE SHAPE CONSTRAINED
b. Repeat steps 4a-4c as needed.
6. (Optional) Refine the mesh element with the Cleanup Mesh tool. • Go to: Tools > Mesh > Mesh Utilities > Cleanup Mesh or Key-in: FACET MODIFY CLEANUP
- MicroStation Wiki: Create a Solid from a Mesh