Request for MicroStation, or applications built on the MicroStation platform, to be able to shutdown automatically after passage of a predetermined amount of time.
A built-in configuration variable MS_IDLETIMEOUT has been included that allows you to define a set amount of idle time after which MicroStation will shut down. A minimum of 30 minutes can be used within this configuration variable and if set to 0 the software will never exit, even if idle.
CONNECT Edition Configuration dialog
When this variable is set, and a defined time period of non-use or idleness has been reached, a dialog box will appear advising application closure in the next XX seconds. If you click on the OK button you can continue to work, otherwise MicroStation will then shut down when the timer expires.
Ideally this variable should be controlled at the Organization configuration level as it is generally an option that would be applied across a whole organization.
To set the time out to 30 minutes (the minimum) add the following line to the organization configuration (to standards.cfg or it's equivalent):
MS_IDLETIMEOUT = 30
The default location for standards.cfg is C:\ProgramData\Bentley\.....\Configuration\Organization\standards.cfgYou can open this file with a text editor and add the syntax.For regular MicroStation, the location of this file will be:C:\ProgramData\Bentley\MicroStation CONNECT Edition\Configuration\Organization\standards.cfg
If in a custom networked configuration, be sure to add this variable to the organization configuration file.
To enforce a time out period, the variable can be locked by adding a %lock statement. For example:
1. Close out of MicroStation completely2. In Windows File Explorer, navigate to:C:\ProgramData\Bentley\MicroStation CONNECT Edition\Configuration\Organization3. Open Standards.cfg file with a text editor such as Notepad4. At the end of this file, add the folllowing syntax:MS_IDLETIMEOUT = 30%lock MS_IDLETIMEOUT5. Save changes and close this file6. Open MicroStation and the changes will take effect (assuming the Standards.cfg file is read by your configuration)
1. Open any design file in MicroStation2. Navigate to File > Settings > Configuration > Configuration Variables > Operation Category > MS_IDLETIMEOUT3. Select this variable, and then select "Edit"4. With the Edit Mode set to Overwrite, input the desired number of minutes in the New Value field.5. Press OK > OK again > Yes to save changes6. Close & reopen MicroStation and the changes will take effect
- MS_IDLETIMEOUT only takes effect during an Active application session, i.e. if a DGN file is open
- If all design files are closed and the application is left at the file open dialog, MS_IDLETIMEOUT will not have any effect.
- Users should still be advised to close applications when they do not need to use them.
- This variable can be set at any configuration level (Organization, WorkSpace, WorkSet, User, etc.)
The Idle tool for these older versions "idle.ma" was previously used.
Español Français Deutsch Italiano
Road and Site Design - Idle Timeout
Product articles and FAQs
Bentley LEARN Server