Reference files which are nested in a MicroStation design file do not display when the file is opened in Bentley View, even though the display box is ticked in the reference dialog box.
When attaching the reference to MicroStation, the "New Level Display" setting may have a value of "Use MS_REF_NEWLEVELDISPLAY Configuration Variable". Bentley View is unable to read this configuration variable, as it looks elsewhere for variable definitions. Because of this, Bentley View defaults the setting to None.
1. Open master file in MicroStation.
2. Open the Attachment Settings for the first attached reference. This can be found by opening the Reference dialog box, then double clicking on the attachment.
3. Make sure the setting Nested Attachments is set to Live Nesting with an acceptable depth.
4. If "New Level Display" is set to "Use MS_REF_NEWLEVELDISPLAY Configuration Variable", either change the setting to Always, Never, or keep following these steps. If you are able to change the value to Always or Never, this should solve the problem.
5. If you need to keep that setting as is, then we need Bentley View to be able to see the variable and its value. In your file explorer, find and open the file viewonly.ucf. The default location of the file is: C:\ProgramData\Bentley\View V8i\WorkSpace\Users.
6. With the file open, add the following line to the notepad:
MS_REF_NEWLEVELDISPLAY = 1
7. Save and close the file. Close and reopen Bentley View. The nested references should now display.