I need to import one or more existing element template(s) into my MicroStation session. What are the ways in which I can accomplish this?
The following solutions are based on the type of file you are attempting to import. Find the type of file which contains your element template(s) and follow the instructions under it.
Settings Manager file
1. In the Element Templates dialog box (Element>Element Templates), select File>Import>From Settings Manager.
2. Select the Settings Manager file (STG file) that you want to import.
3. Click Open. The contents of the STG file are added to the list of the open DGN's template groups and templates.
1. In the Element Templates dialog box, select File>Import>From XML File or select File>Import>From XML File in the Customize dialog (Workspace>Customize).
2. Make sure the 'Element Templates' option is checked on the Import XML Data from File dialog. Click the browse icon to navigate to a different folder to select your XML file.
3. Select the data types to import.
4. Click OK. Selected data types in the selected file are added to the open DGN file.
1. Attach the DGNLIB file, in Windows file explorer, to a path specified by the configuration variables MS_DGNLIBLIST or MS_GUIDGNLIBLIST found in the Configuration dialog box (Workspace>Configuration).
2. In the Element Templates dialog box, select Utilities>Update Templates from Library. This will update the templates in the open DGN with any changes to the templates found by the configuration variables MS_DGNLIBLIST or MS_GUIDGNLIBLIST (if different from MS_DGNLIBLIST).
Copy/PasteIf, by chance, the file which holds the element template(s) you are attempting to import from exists on the same computer as the file which requires the template(s), you have the ability of copying and pasting the template(s) over.
1. In the Element Templates dialog box of the original file, highlight and right click on the desired element template(s). Click copy.
2. Open the file which requires the element template(s). Go to the Element Templates dialog box.
3. Right click on the template group with which you wish the template(s) to be associated. Click paste. The templates will populate under the umbrella of the selected template group.