I remap my button assignments in MicroStation, then Save Settings but the changes don't stick after closing/reopening MicroStation.
This could be caused by one of three things:
1. The *.btnmenu file on which the new button assignments have been created has been corrupted.
2. MicroStation doesn't know where to look for your *.btnmenu file, so it reverts back to the default.btnmenu.
3. You don't have write permission in the folder in which the *.btnmenu file exists.
Here are the solutions for each of those issues.
1. Create a new *.btnmenu file. This can be done by going to Workspace>Button Assignments, then make your changes to the button assignments. Once completed, in the Button Assignments window, click File> Save As... In the Save Button Menu As window, give a unique name to your file and place it in a location MS is already using for buttonmenus (default for v8i: C:\ProgramData\Bentley\MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries)\WorkSpace\Interfaces\Buttons). See: http://communities.bentley.com/products/microstation/w/microstation__wiki/13898.unable-to-remap-mouse-buttons.
2. MicroStation can't find your buttonmenu file. To change this on the user level, go to Workspace>Configuration then search for the MS_BUTTONMENU configuration variable. Either edit the variable so it is looking in folder in which your *.btnmenu file exists or move the *.btnmenu file to the path designated by MS_BUTTONMENU.
3. Either get write permission for that folder or edit MS_BUTTONMENU to change the button menu folder to a folder which you do have write permission. Because you're changing the *.btnmenu file itself, you absolutely need write permissions in the folder itself.