In some Windows Vista and 7 installations the levels can appear rapidly flashing and / or their on/off status change can have significant lags in Level Display.
This can be caused by some components of the Video sub-system not being able to fully handle the Windows Vista and 7 Graphics Effects (mainly the "Desktop Composition") while running MicroStation.
Forcing MicroStation to run with the Desktop Composition option disabled generally resolves this issue with no impact on visual effects and performance on other applications.
It is advisable as first troubleshooting step to upgrade your Video Card drivers to the latest available version.
1. Right click on MicroStation's shortcut and select "Properties"
2. Select the compatibility tab
3. Tick "Disable Desktop Composition"
4. Click "Apply" and "Ok"
If "Option 1" does not resolve the issue or if a similar behavior is also noticed in other applications, it may be necessary to completely disable Windows "Visual Effects"
1. Right Click on "Computer" and select "Properties" OR open "Control Panel->System"
2. Click "Advanced System Settings"
3. Click the "Settings" button in the "Performance" tab
4. Select "Adjust for best performance"
5. Click "Apply" and "Ok"