In some configurations MicroStation's pointer may lag behind Windows default mouse pointer.
The use of Windows visual effects and the fact that Windows mouse pointers works differently from MicroStation's can cause the aforementioned lag.
There is currently no definitive solution to this but two workarounds, with virtually no side effects, are possible:
Change the Pointer Type. To do this:
1. Open a file and go to Workspace > Preferences
2. Choose the 'Input' Category • Change Pointer Type from Orthogonal to Isometric OR
3. Change Pointer Size to 'Full View'
4. Try placing a line or rectangle
5. The element is permanently attached to cursor/crosshair centre no matter where or how fast it is moved for either Isometric or Full View option
Another option is to disable Windows Visual effects. Initially it may be sufficient to disable the "Desktop Composition" for MicroStation only. To do this:
1. Right click on MicroStation's shortcut and click "Properties"
2. Select the "Compatibility" tab
3. Tick the "Disable Desktop Composition" option.
4. Click on "Apply" and then "Ok"
If this doesn't improve the issue, try repeating the above steps ticking also the "Disable Visual Themes" option in step 3.
If the issue hasn't improved yet, we can try setting Windows Visual Effects to "Best Performance". This will disable Windows Vista/7 advanced visual effects and themes.
1. Go to Control Panel > System
2. Click on Advanced System Settings
3. Click on the Advanced tab in System properties dialog box
4. In the Performance section, click on Settings
5. In Visual Effects tab - choose 'Adjust for best performance'