You are currently reviewing an older revision of this page.
After installing a newer version of AutoPIPE on a machine, I am unable to update the file association so that the newer version opens the files when double-click a *.DAT file from a folder location. I tried setting the Windows 7 file association as instructed by Microsoft, but that does not fix the issue. How to resolve?
By default the application should not be started by double clicking a file from windows explorer. The application should be properly started and the files opened using the File > open command, or Open Icon button. If there is something wrong with the file association, please contact your IT department for their instructions to fix the situation.
The following is one set of instructions to fix file association issues, to be used at your discretion:
1. Install a very small application called TYPES; a 200 KB (.net based application)
Types allows you to customize the way Windows handles different file types: set program associations, change icons, context menus and other properties
2. Press the Download hyper link on the web page.
3. Select the option to "Run" the application. Depending on your internet settings the following may appear:
Again, select RUN. You may need to get your IT department involved if permission to install becomes and issue.
4. The following screen will now appear, recommend to select Control Panel only
5. After pressing "Install" button, this will install a small application in the control panel name: "Types". Press the close button on the dialog.
6. Go to the Control Panel, search for an app called "Types", and open it. the following will be displayed.
7. Search for DAT in the listing as shown above.
8. Double click on it.
a. Class tab: select Application\AutoPIPE;
b. Action Tab:select OPEN in the field provided and confirm autopipe.exe location. If not correct, select correct location from drop down list.
Images are shown below: (close the dialog by pressing X in the upper right corner).
9. Close TYPES application and confirm the application can be started by double selecting the DAT file from a folder location.
DAT, .DAT, AutoPIPE, Open, associate, re-associate
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley LEARN Server
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please submit any comments you have on this Wiki article tothe "Comments" area below. THANK YOU!