Does AutoPIPE have my material?
AutoPIPE has over 26 different piping codes with 39+ material files. Use one of the following options to find materials shipped with AutoPIPE.
In order to know what materials are available by default per each piping code, see the following procedure:
1. Select, Tools> Model Options> General>
What is the name of the material file in a model?
Example: See above dialog, Piping code = ASME B31.3, 2006, and Material file = B313-06
DO NOT mix piping codes with any material library. When selecting a piping code the program will automatically select a default Material library. These default libraries are formatted specifically for the selected piping code. When using options #3 or #4 (from this WIKI here) the bases for the library is the default library. In short, if a material is missing from the default library use one of the 4 options (from this WIKI here) to add the missing material. Otherwise, mixing piping codes and non default libraries can potentially lead to unconservative results. New enhancements will be added to the program to prevent using any library with any piping code.
2. Select the following AutoPIPE help section:
Help > Contents> Contents Tab> Reference Information> Libraries> Code Dependent Pipe Materials> select the material library found in step #1 from the listing provided:
3. Scroll down the listing in the left column to see all the materials that AutoPIPE has available by default for this specific Code dependent material library.
4. Remain columns are references to publications used to create the library, with the last column as a link to the Standard pipe library.
Question: Using B31.4 2016 piping code, what reference was used for A53-A thermal expansion coefficient?
a. Referring to the Code Dependent Pipe Materials,
b. Select the correct material library, i.e. B314-16.LIB, find A53-A in the left column.
c. Trace it over the last column on the far right, "Reference Standard Material", for A53-A is linked to CS.
d. Now go to Standard Pipe Materials section
e. Choose the same material library (i.e. B314-16.LIB).
f. Locate link value in left column (i.e. CS), description was "Low carbon"
g. Reference for thermal expansion was ASME B31.3
Select the following AutoPIPE help section:
Help > Contents> Search Tab> enter "material name" (include the quotes), press List Topics button, double click on the selected topic from the list provided to see more information.
1. search for Aluminum
2. Double click on a Topic
3. Scroll down to see highlighted selection.
Question: What code materials are available that uses Standard Material Al-6061?
a. Referring to the B313-12 Standard Materials library above, find AL-6061 in the left column.
b. Now go to Code Dependent Pipe Materials section for the same library, i.e. B313-12.LIB
c. Search for all occurrence of AL-6061 located in the last column to the right.
D. Find that it occurs 3 times in this library:
1. Click here for detailed instructions to work with AutoPIPE material libraries.
2. AutoPIPE does not allow the user to select different materials from multiple libraries. The user is limited to the materials in one selected library.
Libraries - AutoPIPE