After importing a model from PipeLINK into a new AutoPIPE model the displacement under GR loads only is causing a very large displacement on the horizontal plane (Z-Axis).
There is a known issue due to a missing beam section property: "Min. Radius of Gyration" (not visible on the beam properties dialog screen). This property is not populated with a valid value after inserting a STAAD PipeLINK file. This issue will be fixed in AutoPIPE V8i 09.06.01.xx and higher.
One avoidance is to correct the faulty beam sections in AutoPIPE after Pipeink import:
1. Import the STAAD model into AutoPIPE and analyze the model.
2. Identify which beams have large displacements by reviewing one or more of the following: animating load case, output rerport, or Results grid. (i.e Beam ID (237, 451 etc).
3. On the Beam Tab of the input grid, locate the Beam ID, pan to the right under "Section ID" column determine which beam property is affected (ex.10 L100X100X7).
4. On the Section ID tab of the input grid, locate the affected section Id from previous step (ie. 10) and double click the black arrow at the beginning of the row to open the modify section database properties dialog.
5. Press the Select button on the dialog and re-select the same section ID (ex, L100X100X7) again from the database. Press OK button 2x to close out of the command.
6. Analyze the model and view results.
7. Update all those affected beam properties until the model is fixed.
Logged under CAE-TR-11109.
Insert> Model From STAAD Using PipeLink
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please submit any comments you have on this Wiki article intoa Bentley SR for review and reply. THANK YOU!