How to model piping systems in which upper pipe is supported on lower pipe using AutoPIPE?
Following steps to be followed to be model Upper pipe supported on lower pipe using AutoPIPE:
1. First of all complete the modelling of piping system in which you want this type of support. For example: We have the following piping system as shown in the image below and we are going to insert the support at node A81 and G03 on Lower and upper pipe respectively.
2. Now provide a guide support at Node no. A81 (connected to ground/structure) to the lower pipe by clicking on Insert > Support in support type choose guide support.
3. After that provide a guide support at G03 which is just above the Point A81.Connect the Guide support at G03 to A81 by providing a A81 as a value in "Connected to" dialog box. Also provide all the Gaps, stiffness value and Coefficients of friction accordingly.
Limitations for this approach:
1. If these are high temperature line, Expansion due to temperature conductivity between the two pipes is not considered for the Saddles/shoe and structural members.
2. Support is rigidly connected and doesn't take flexibility of the structural member between the pipes.