1. See the following link here for more information on RSS news feeds.
2. RSS feeds had stopped updating - it turned out the Outlook option had been disabled. You can check it in send/receive, send/receive groups, define send/receive groups, highlight "all accounts" and click edit. Click RSS on the left hand side and make sure "Include RSS Feeds in this Send/Receive group" is ticked on.
RSS Rich Site Summary (originally RDF Site Summary, often dubbed Really Simple Syndication) is a family of web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works—such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video—in a standardized format. An RSS document (which is called a "feed", "web feed", or "channel") includes full or summarized text, plus metadata such as publishing dates and authorship. [wikipedia].
Bentley has created product RSS news feed that is accessed by:
Option #1: First time after AutoPIPE is installed and started
Option #2: Select Help> AutoPIPE News...>
Option #3: On the RSS newsfeed dialog there is a check box on this dialog, "Shows news at Startup", if this box is checked "ON" the RSS news feed window will pop-up every time the program is started. Otherwise, use option number 2 above.
Option #4: Use the RSS news feed URL. Save as a favorite and visit the page periodically. See Q2 blow for details.
There are four categories of news offered through the AutoPIPE RSS news feed. These categories include news from Bentley AutoPIPE, Bentley General, Bentley Education, and Bentley Release.
Suggest that Bentley AutoPIPE and Bentley Release are enable (checked ON) as a minimum:
Use the RSS newsfeed Settings> Filter News tab to narrow the information presented or Advanced tab for offline mode / auto refresh options.
Check to be sure that the internet is connected and working on the computer trying to connect.
After Selecting Help> AutoPIPE News> Settings> confirm that at least one FEED Url is selected, as shown above.
Press the Refresh button
IF your IT department put up a firewall that prevents communication with the RSS newsfeed, copy URL from the Settings tab and Paste directly into internet web application (ex. Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc..)
Note: for some user, the RSS news feeds may not work on Internet Explorer or Chrome, but may work on Firefox. Try all 3 to find out which works best for you.
Bentley AutoPIPE: http://feeds.rapidfeeds.com/12167
Bentley General: http://feeds.rapidfeeds.com/8929
Bentley Education: http://feeds.rapidfeeds.com/12166
Bentley Releases: http://feeds.rapidfeeds.com/12168
Following is the procedure to view RSS feed on computers with no internet connection.
1. On computer #1, Start AutoPIPE, select Help> AutoPIPE News> when the RSS news feed dialog appears press Settings button and select the Advanced tab.
Find "Enable Offline mode" and check this option. Press OK button to close this dialog.
The online ‘icon’ from the application will turn into offline red icon.
2. Close the dialog and turn off AutoPIPE.
3. Contact any AutoPIPE user or use a computer with AutoPIPE installed that has internet access to the RSS news feeds.
a. On the 2nd computer, start AutoPIPE, Select Help> AutoPIPE News> select the Settings button, confirm all four Feed URLs have been checked ON as seen below, and press Refresh button.
b. Go to the AutoPIPE install folder to locate the following files:
C:\Bentley\AutoPIPE V8i SELECTseries\1.xml2.xml3.xml4.xml
C:\Bentley\AutoPIPE V8i SELECTseries\
These files related to the respective RSS newsfeeds in the above image
c. Copy and transfer these 4 files to computer #1 that is offline.
5. On computer #1 that is set to offline, place this files into the AutoPIPE program folder:
6. Restart AutoPIPE, select Help> AutoPIPE News> It will show the news from the files imported from above.
Why and how to avoid it?
Was any other Bentley products or any different / Older AutoPIPE versions installed lately?
Fix the issue by first closing AutoPIPE, next go to the MS Windows Control panel> select "Bentley AutoPIPE V8i Select Series" program from the listing, and press the "Repair" button.
Answer: (Mar 2016)
Normally the RSS news feed GUI may freeze while it is retrieving the news. This may explain why you are unable to access the setting button or un-check the checkbox to show news at startup. Give it a minute or two and you should be able to re-gain control on the GUI.
An alternative is to directly access the INI file for the RSS news feed utility and change the setting to show news at startup. You can find in RSSClient.INI file at following locations
1. For AutoPIPE SS5 (v9.6) or earlier, this file will be in AutoPIPE Installation Directory2. For AutoPIPE CONNECT (V10.0) or later, this will be in User Roaming Profile Directory. You can access this directory using Tools > Settings > Preference > Explore User Profile. The path will look something like belowC:\Users\[firstname].[lastname]\AppData\Roaming\Bentley\AutoPIPE CONNECT
Once you have locate RSSClient.INI you can edit in notepad and modify the following variable value from 1 to 0.
Now after this update, when you start AutoPIPE again, the news feed will not automatically launch. You can still launch the news feed by select Help > AutoPIPE News menu option
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley LEARN Server
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please submit any comments you have on this Wiki article tothe "Comments" area below. THANK YOU!