At times, you may want to add an additional field to your Component's data (i.e. Part Number, Vendor Catalog data etc.). This Technote focuses on the proper procedures to add this to Component Data, and to make it an Updateable data field in Piping.
Add the Data to the Catalog
Naturally, the first step to adding component data, is to add the data to the component. There are several available fields in the catalogs that can be used for a piece of user defined data. (i.e. Alt_P_Mark, User 1, User 2, User 3) You may also create a new field, of course. As always, data must be entered manually into the Catalog Databases.
***In cases where the chosen data is simply a series or other form which Microsoft Office can calculate, the data may be created in Excel and then copied over to the Catalog MDB in Access as a shortcut***
Although all Catalog Data is generally stored in the GData of each component, only valid fields from the Piping Table are included in Component Data for BOM. Once the data field is part of component data (result of step 1), you simply need to add the field exactly as it appears in the catalog to the Piping Table. This can be done in Project Administrator by following the steps below:
1. Launch Project Administrator
2. Go to %ProjectName%>Database>Databases
3. HIghlight the ProjData Database and select Edit Tables.
4. Scroll Down to the Piping Table, Highlight it and Press the Edit button.
5. Select Table Design
6. Add your field to the Table. The field Properties from most descriptive data can be set to match the Piece Mark field properties.
7. Save and Close the Piping Table Design Session.
8. After completing steps 1-5 Add your field to the Table. The field Properties from most descriptive data can be set to match the Piece Mark field properties.
9. In the instance Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio is used edit the dbo.PIPING file to accomplish task.
10. Save and Close the Piping Table Design Session.
Although all components created from this point forward will automatically be populated with the new data, previously created components will need to be updated. Running the command Piping>Databse Tools>Update From Spec should take care of the update.
Product TechNotes and FAQs
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley LEARN Server
Bentley's Product Advantage Group requests that you please confine any comments you have on this Wiki entry to this "Comments or Corrections?" section. THANK YOU!