The following technote will explain how to create individual program associations for each AutoCAD version installed. AutoCAD Integration issues with ProjectWise have been reported when multiple versions of AutoCAD are installed. An example would be when selecting the "Insert External Reference" command from the ProjectWise menu, the windows dialog is displayed not the expected ProjectWise file dialog.
ProjectWise Administrator will need to be installed on a machine that has all of the AutoCAD versions installed. The AutoCAD versions are needed for finding the correct class path to create the program associations. The User adding the program associations must be a ProjectWise administrator.
1. Launch ProjectWise Administrator and log in with an administrator account. In the "Applications" group, select the "AutoCAD" entry. (Image A)
2. View the "AutoCAD" properties, by double clicking or right click, view properties. (image B)
3. In the "Actions" tab, select the "Create" button (a dialog box will open). Set the "Action" equal to "open" then enter a Program description that identifies the version of AutoCAD. (Image C) IMAGE C
4. In the "Program class name" select the small button to the right (browse button). A dialog will open that will list all software and AutoCAD versions that are installed. NOTE: This is why ProjectWise Administrator needs to be installed on the machine where all of your AutoCAD versions are installed. See Prerequisites. (Image D) IMAGE D
5. With the "Select Associated Program" dialog active, place the cursor over each of the "AutoCAD Application" icons. Take note of the information that is displayed at the cursor location. This will determine what AutoCAD version is associated to each of the AutoCAD Applications. Highlight the desired version and click okay. Click okay to accept and close the Create Association dialog.
6. Create an entry for EACH version of AutoCAD you have by repeating steps 3 through 5 until all the versions of AutoCAD have been defined. LEAVE the default one that is already listed (Image E)
7. The last step is to define which version will be the default AutoCAD application used to open files. In the ‘Actions' tab, highlight the entry and then select the "Set Default" button.
When opening a file in ProjectWise explorer, the user can either double click the AutoCAD file and it will be opened with the default application or they Right click the file and choose "Open with." When using "Open with" the list of applications defined by the above process will be displayed.
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please confine any comments you have on this Wiki entry to this "Comments or Corrections?" section. THANK YOU!