ProjectWise StartPoint is an entry-level collaboration tool, based on Microsoft Office SharePoint. ProjectWise StartPoint can be used with MicroStation V8 XM Edition build 188.8.131.52 and higher, as well as with other MicroStation XM derivatives. This is only recommended if the server is running Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 or Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003 (see below for more details).
*Note: Any issues relating to downloading, installing, configuring, site-creation, or administering of Windows SharePoint should be directed to Microsoft technical support.
1. The SharePoint administrator must verify that Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 (WSSv2) has been setup and correctly installed.
WSSv2 is an add-on to Windows 2003 Server R2 Operating System and can be installed from your original Windows 2003 Server R2 Operating System or downloaded directly from Microsoft: Windows SharePoint Services 2.0.
For more information about WSSv2, see Windows SharePoint Services: Getting Started
*Note: Although ProjectWise StartPoint requires WSSv2, ProjectWise StartPoint will also work with Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003 (SPS2003). SPS2003 is a separately licensed and installed Microsoft product which adds additional functionality to WSSv2.
For more information about SPS2003, see SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Help and How-to
2. The SharePoint administrator must provide the CAD manager access to create sites on the server.
a. See Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Help and How-to.
b. Click User Documentation and Resources.
c. Click Managing Permissions and Security.
3. The CAD manager then creates team sites and document libraries on the server.
c. Click Managing Sites and Settings.
4. The CAD manager provides team members access to the team site and document libraries.
1. Download ProjectWise StartPoint Administrator Help
2. The SharePoint administrator must install the ProjectWise StartPoint Service on the server.
a. Download the latest release from Bentley SELECT Services.
b. Click Downloads and Updates.
c. Click Search Downloads.
d. Log in.
e. Select ProjectWise as the Product
f. From the returned applications, select ProjectWise StartPoint Service.
1. MicroStation V8 XM Edition, MicroStation PowerDraft XM Edition, Bentley View XM Edition, Bentley Redline 8.9.3 or 8.9.4, and Bentley Navigator 8.9.3 or 8.9.4 users do not have to install anything on their computer. To obtain one of these versions:
a. Download these latest releases from Bentley SELECT Services.
e. Select the appropriate application.
Setting up AutoCAD on a computer
1. AutoCAD users must install and license ProjectWise StartPoint for AutoCAD on their computer, which also requires a ProjectWise Passport.
Licensing ProjectWise StartPoint
There are three modules to ProjectWise StartPoint:
1. ProjectWise StartPoint Service
This server-side module does not require its own license. However, its usage is reported in the Select Server logs.
2. ProjectWise StartPoint Integration w/ MicroStation
This client-side module is included into MicroStation V8 XM Edition products. No additional client side install is needed.
It is licensed via a ProjectWise Named User License.
3. ProjectWise StartPoint Integration w/ AutoCAD
This client-side module is a separate install on each client machine.
It is also licensed via a ProjectWise Named User License.
MicroStation V8 XM Edition, MicroStation PowerDraft XM Edition, Bentley View XM Edition, Bentley Redline 8.9.3 or 8.9.4, and Bentley Navigator 8.9.3 or 8.9.4 require a ProjectWise Passport to use ProjectWise StartPoint. This license is on your company's SELECT Server. If you don't have this license, you can "test-drive" ProjectWise StartPoint for 30 days.
There are three ways to procure a ProjectWise Passport:
**Additional ProjectWise Passports can be ordered through your Account Manager or Sales Representative.
Uploading Design Documents to ProjectWise StartPoint
1. Download ProjectWise StartPoint User Help.
2. Open your browser and go to the team site and document library set up by the CAD manager.
3. Upload design documents to the document library by clicking the Upload Document button.
a. To upload multiple design documents, click Upload Multiple Files.
b. You can upload MicroStation design documents and AutoCAD drawings.
c. Before uploading a design document with reference files, be sure the reference files are attached to the master file using a relative path.
To view a Design Document in a Document Library
To Edit a Design Document
To Create a Design Document
For more information on ProjectWise StartPoint, please refer to the Help and online information atwww.Bentley.com
Product TechNotes and FAQs
ProjectWise TechNotes And FAQs
Bentley Technical Support KnowledgeBase
Bentley LEARN Server
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please confine any comments you have on this Wiki entry to this "Comments or Corrections?" section. THANK YOU!